Renderers no longer showing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
malcalevak

Renderers no longer showing

Post by malcalevak »

I was planning to follow up on a separate issue I've been having, but when I went to test a few things, I restarted UMS, and now it can't seem to see any of the renderers it normally would. I can get some renderers to show, if I try to visit the web player on port 9002, but even those ultimately don't work.
This is the first time I've encountered this issue, usually, I see multiple Windows Media Players (for all the computers in the house), a TV, a Bluray player, and my PS4, but now, I'm not seeing anything.

The only change I remember making, is that I added a folder to my Shared Content, and disabled a bunch of other folders. Doesn't seem like that should cause this sort of problem, though I may have forgotten something else I changed at some point. I know eSET likes to be problematic, so I disabled it and restarted UMS, but still no luck.

I'm hoping someone can look at the attached logs and see the issue.

Many thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg_2023-07-26-16-06.zip
(283.57 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
mik_s

Re: Renderers no longer showing

Post by mik_s »

Someone else posted a similar problem recently but also mentioned Esat. Turns out that this removed the ports that UMS uses from the firewall so they were being blocked. Manually adding them fixed the problem.

It could also be that UMS is using the VPN network interface instead of your local one.
You have it set to force use the "Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller" which is using the IP address 10.0.0.1
I would expect this to be 192.168.xxx.xxx but I am no expert with networking. Maybe try and set the interface to auto detect. I do see that there is a "Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter" that may have a valid IP address too. As long as everything on your network is in the same subnet then it should work.

I do see the speed test trying to ping 10.0.0.15 but there is no response, maybe that is being blocked. Blocked ports or other network configuration could also be the cause of low speeds I found in your other log.

I did see a bit of corruption that messed up my log viewer so had to open in a text editor to view it properly, something about a network configuration change.

Code: Select all

TRACE 2023-07-26 15:55:32.395 [NetworkConfiguration Watcher] Checking network configuration changes
DEBUG 2023-07-26 15:55:34.428 [jupnp-netty-worker-1] Caught exception: invalid version format: V￶�￙ᄌ￘ヘSᄍWユXロᄋ₩ ̄$R8 (ニQ2,ᄒ@/B|X	9U¬8ᅱ ○U￾*ᅣEᅩ￿ ̄/  **￀+￀/￀,￀0ᅩ로ᄄ￀￀ ワ ン / 5 モᅳᅳ     -           3 + )ZZ     JXヨ_H}PR~`?*゚ᅢ_￱ᅣP쇼CツᅴRヤ	 + ↑↑      DI  H2 #
TRACE 2023-07-26 15:55:34.428 [jupnp-netty-worker-1] 
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version format: V￶�￙ᄌ￘ヘSᄍWユXロᄋ₩ ̄$R8 (ニQ2,ᄒ@/B|X	9U¬8ᅱ ○U￾*ᅣEᅩ￿ ̄/  **￀+￀/￀,￀0ᅩ로ᄄ￀￀ ワ ン / 5 モᅳᅳ     -           3 + )ZZ     JXヨ_H}PR~`?*゚ᅢ_￱ᅣP쇼CツᅴRヤ	 + ↑↑      DI  H2 #
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.http.HttpVersion.<init>(HttpVersion.java:94)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.http.HttpVersion.valueOf(HttpVersion.java:62)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.http.HttpRequestDecoder.createMessage(HttpRequestDecoder.java:75)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.http.HttpMessageDecoder.decode(HttpMessageDecoder.java:191)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.http.HttpMessageDecoder.decode(HttpMessageDecoder.java:102)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.callDecode(ReplayingDecoder.java:500)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.messageReceived(ReplayingDecoder.java:435)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.handleUpstream(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:70)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:564)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:559)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireMessageReceived(Channels.java:268)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireMessageReceived(Channels.java:255)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.read(NioWorker.java:88)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.process(AbstractNioWorker.java:108)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:337)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.run(AbstractNioWorker.java:89)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.run(NioWorker.java:178)
	at org.jboss.netty.util.ThreadRenamingRunnable.run(ThreadRenamingRunnable.java:108)
	at org.jboss.netty.util.internal.DeadLockProofWorker$1.run(DeadLockProofWorker.java:42)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
DEBUG 2023-07-26 15:55:34.440 [jupnp-netty-worker-1] Caught exception: invalid version format: V￶�￙ᄌ￘ヘSᄍWユXロᄋ₩ ̄$R8 (ニQ2,ᄒ@/B|X	9U¬8ᅱ ○U￾*ᅣEᅩ￿ ̄/  **￀+￀/￀,￀0ᅩ로ᄄ￀￀ ワ ン / 5 モᅳᅳ     -           3 + )ZZ     JXヨ_H}PR~`?*゚ᅢ_￱ᅣP쇼CツᅴRヤ	 + ↑↑      DI  H2 #
TRACE 2023-07-26 15:55:34.440 [jupnp-netty-worker-1] 
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version format: V￶�￙ᄌ￘ヘSᄍWユXロᄋ₩ ̄$R8 (ニQ2,ᄒ@/B|X	9U¬8ᅱ ○U￾*ᅣEᅩ￿ ̄/  **￀+￀/￀,￀0ᅩ로ᄄ￀￀ ワ ン / 5 モᅳᅳ     -           3 + )ZZ     JXヨ_H}PR~`?*゚ᅢ_￱ᅣP쇼CツᅴRヤ	 + ↑↑      DI  H2 #
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.http.HttpRequestDecoder.createMessage(HttpRequestDecoder.java:75)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.http.HttpMessageDecoder.decode(HttpMessageDecoder.java:191)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.http.HttpMessageDecoder.decode(HttpMessageDecoder.java:102)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.callDecode(ReplayingDecoder.java:500)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.cleanup(ReplayingDecoder.java:554)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.frame.FrameDecoder.channelDisconnected(FrameDecoder.java:365)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.handleUpstream(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:102)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:564)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:559)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireChannelDisconnected(Channels.java:396)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.close(AbstractNioWorker.java:360)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketPipelineSink.handleAcceptedSocket(NioServerSocketPipelineSink.java:81)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketPipelineSink.eventSunk(NioServerSocketPipelineSink.java:36)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$DefaultChannelHandlerContext.sendDownstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:779)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.oneone.OneToOneEncoder.handleDownstream(OneToOneEncoder.java:54)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendDownstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:591)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$DefaultChannelHandlerContext.sendDownstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:784)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.stream.ChunkedWriteHandler.handleDownstream(ChunkedWriteHandler.java:109)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendDownstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:591)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendDownstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:582)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.close(Channels.java:812)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.AbstractChannel.close(AbstractChannel.java:205)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.ChannelFutureListener$1.operationComplete(ChannelFutureListener.java:41)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelFuture.notifyListener(DefaultChannelFuture.java:409)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelFuture.addListener(DefaultChannelFuture.java:145)
	at net.pms.network.mediaserver.jupnp.transport.impl.NettyStreamServer$RequestUpstreamHandler.sendError(NettyStreamServer.java:248)
	at net.pms.network.mediaserver.jupnp.transport.impl.NettyStreamServer$RequestUpstreamHandler.exceptionCaught(NettyStreamServer.java:234)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.handleUpstream(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:112)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$DefaultChannelHandlerContext.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:791)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.stream.ChunkedWriteHandler.handleUpstream(ChunkedWriteHandler.java:142)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$DefaultChannelHandlerContext.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:791)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.exceptionCaught(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:153)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.handleUpstream(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:112)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.frame.FrameDecoder.exceptionCaught(FrameDecoder.java:377)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireExceptionCaught(Channels.java:525)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.AbstractChannelSink.exceptionCaught(AbstractChannelSink.java:48)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.notifyHandlerException(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:658)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:566)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.process(AbstractNioWorker.java:108)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:337)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.run(AbstractNioWorker.java:89)
	at org.jboss.netty.util.ThreadRenamingRunnable.run(ThreadRenamingRunnable.java:108)
	at org.jboss.netty.util.internal.DeadLockProofWorker$1.run(DeadLockProofWorker.java:42)
DEBUG 2023-07-26 15:55:34.460 [jupnp-netty-worker-2] Caught exception: invalid version format: ~NテPQᆰ/>ᄑ Wᄀハ￳O￾ᆲヒ>EZᅤ│ン￵ᅩPVE￶  ￀+￀/￀,￀0ᅩ로ᄄ￀￀ ワ ン / 5 モJJ   + ᄎᄎ    -  3 + )
TRACE 2023-07-26 15:55:34.461 [jupnp-netty-worker-2] 
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version format: ~NテPQᆰ/>ᄑ Wᄀハ￳O￾ᆲヒ>EZᅤ│ン￵ᅩPVE￶  ￀+￀/￀,￀0ᅩ로ᄄ￀￀ ワ ン / 5 モJJ   + ᄎᄎ    -  3 + )
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.messageReceived(ReplayingDecoder.java:435)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.handleUpstream(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:70)
DEBUG 2023-07-26 15:55:34.461 [jupnp-netty-worker-2] Caught exception: invalid version format: ~NテPQᆰ/>ᄑ Wᄀハ￳O￾ᆲヒ>EZᅤ│ン￵ᅩPVE￶  ￀+￀/￀,￀0ᅩ로ᄄ￀￀ ワ ン / 5 モJJ   + ᄎᄎ    -  3 + )
TRACE 2023-07-26 15:55:34.461 [jupnp-netty-worker-2] 
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version format: ~NテPQᆰ/>ᄑ Wᄀハ￳O￾ᆲヒ>EZᅤ│ン￵ᅩPVE￶  ￀+￀/￀,￀0ᅩ로ᄄ￀￀ ワ ン / 5 モJJ   + ᄎᄎ    -  3 + )
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.cleanup(ReplayingDecoder.java:554)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.frame.FrameDecoder.channelDisconnected(FrameDecoder.java:365)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.handleUpstream(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:102)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireChannelDisconnected(Channels.java:396)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.close(AbstractNioWorker.java:360)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketPipelineSink.handleAcceptedSocket(NioServerSocketPipelineSink.java:81)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketPipelineSink.eventSunk(NioServerSocketPipelineSink.java:36)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$DefaultChannelHandlerContext.sendDownstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:779)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.oneone.OneToOneEncoder.handleDownstream(OneToOneEncoder.java:54)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$DefaultChannelHandlerContext.sendDownstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:784)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.stream.ChunkedWriteHandler.handleDownstream(ChunkedWriteHandler.java:109)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendDownstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:582)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.close(Channels.java:812)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.AbstractChannel.close(AbstractChannel.java:205)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.ChannelFutureListener$1.operationComplete(ChannelFutureListener.java:41)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelFuture.notifyListener(DefaultChannelFuture.java:409)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelFuture.addListener(DefaultChannelFuture.java:145)
	at net.pms.network.mediaserver.jupnp.transport.impl.NettyStreamServer$RequestUpstreamHandler.sendError(NettyStreamServer.java:248)
	at net.pms.network.mediaserver.jupnp.transport.impl.NettyStreamServer$RequestUpstreamHandler.exceptionCaught(NettyStreamServer.java:234)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.stream.ChunkedWriteHandler.handleUpstream(ChunkedWriteHandler.java:142)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.exceptionCaught(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:153)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.frame.FrameDecoder.exceptionCaught(FrameDecoder.java:377)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireExceptionCaught(Channels.java:525)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.AbstractChannelSink.exceptionCaught(AbstractChannelSink.java:48)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.notifyHandlerException(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:658)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:566)
I have no idea what caused this but may be related.

I think I found the reason for the half green screen too. Your renderer on IP 10.0.0.20 is being picked up as Pigasus as it matches "Android", it should also match "Hanging Hat Studios" to use that conf but isn't for some reason, maybe because it is not recieving the rest of the headers.

Pigasus was added to enable VR 3D videos by splitting the screen in half, one for each eye. If one of the video streams is missing then it will appear green on that side. (i'm guessing with this as it is not something I use)

I have no idea what this is meant to be as there are no other identifiers other than Android 13, but those may be blocked. What is this meant to be?

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 13) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/114.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36
  Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
malcalevak

Post by malcalevak »

Thanks for the prompt follow up! I actually read that post that referenced eSET, but, as I said, I disabled it as soon as I noticed the problem, to see if that resolved it; it did not. I've previously had to create the exceptions for the ports in question, after which UMS worked correctly, but this doesn't appear to be tied to eSET.

The "Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller" is the correct network interface, the local network is 10.XXX.XXX.XXX, which is one of the three available for private networks, though not as common as the 192.168.XXX.XXX, so that's not the problem either. In theory, I could use the "Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter", I think, but it shouldn't make much of a difference. It's tied to some sort of weird thing Hyper-V does if you want networking in your virtual machines. It's just a passthrough for the "Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network" Adapter. Switching to automatic appears to still use the "Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller".

As for the corruption tied to a network configuration change... that I haven't a clue about, but you're right, it might be related.

Regarding the separate half-green-screen issue, once I resolve this issue, I'll go back to that, but it's unrelated to the Pigasus. "Pigasus" only showed up because I tried visiting the web player via my phone. It wouldn't play, but UMS at least registered that in the log. The 10.0.0.15 speed test was a similar deal, I tried using the web player from one of my laptops. I'm not sure what the deal is with the headers it sent, though that might just be what the Brave browser sends?

If there are no other suggestions, I can always try doing a clean install, I just dread having to remember everything I've customized.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

A clean install might help. Make a backup (or rename) the folder C:\ProgramData\UMS so you can go back to it afterwards once you get the problems fixed.
Just keep all the settings at default at first and share a small test folder.

Once you get it to work then you can just copy UMS.conf and shared.conf from this to get your old settings back.

If a clean install still gives problems then it could be something to do with your network or firewall.
When installing the firewall rules for UMS should be added so that may be enough to fix it.
Maybe try installing with eSET disabled so it does not interfere, if you restart eSET and the problems return then you know that is causing the problem.

My knowledge of networking only really covers letting everything set up automatically and maybe setting static IPs so I don't think I can help much with that.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
malcalevak

Post by malcalevak »

I need to find time to test it more, but you may have been right that eSET was the issue, or at least it was the issue for using the web player. I was using "Pause Protection" with eSET, which I could've sworn disabled everything, but apparently only disabled the stuff that wasn't firewall related... Apparently I have to use a separate toggle for that.

It's still not detecting any of the media renderers it used to immediately find, but I won't be able to investigate more for a few hours. I'll follow up with my findings, thanks again!
malcalevak

Post by malcalevak »

Scratch that. eSET was blocking the web player, since I wasn't allowing port 9002, but adding that made the web player work again. I'd already allowed port 5001 through, but all other connections weren't working, until I did a clean install.

Clean install seems to be working correctly, so I'm working on restoring my settings, and hoping I might stumble across what was wrong in the first place.