Problem with sub net

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cfpaula

Problem with sub net

Post by cfpaula »

Dear friends, recently I made a router change in my network and now I have a principal network with IP 192.168.0.1 and a subnet (in this new router) with IP 192.168.1.1.
So, this new subnet only works with wifi connection and the main PC, where the UMS runs, as well as the media files are storaged, is using this subnet.

Resuming, the PC, where the UMS is installed, runs in the subnet 192.168.1.1.

But I have a media player from Westerrn Digital, with no wifi option, that is wired the router with the IP 192.168.0.1.
In this way this media player does not connect with the UMS.

In the UMS page that shows the "detected media renders", this device appears showing its IP, but it does not connect to the server.

How I can solve this problem?
mik_s

Re: Problem with sub net

Post by mik_s »

You will need your devices on the same subnet as the computer running UMS as some of the traffic it uses does not travel between subnets. It may be able to see your device but not talk to it.

I don't know much about networking so can't give any more information on this, it may be possible to configure your network to make it work like this but I have no idea.

What is the reason for the subnets?
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
cfpaula

Post by cfpaula »

After this issue I decided to install a router near the WDTV with the same configuration of the PC which is running UMS. Now, the WDTV receives IP inside the same network. But unfortunately the problem remains. UMS does not see the media player and vice-versa.
boss

Post by boss »

It sounds like the media player and the computer hosting UMS are on different subnets.

Most likely you have 2 routers on your system both setup as routers and as well as the UMS issue, you could be double NATing and havie 2 devices running DHCP which is not good.

Can you post a full layout of your LAN.

EG:
Router (incoming from ISP)
Media Player
Computer hosting UMS.
TV's etc.

You need to get your system like this:
Router which is connected to the internet. IP: 192.168.0.1 (or could be 192.168.1.1) (lets call this ISP router)
If you have another router on your LAN, the cable from your ISP router goes into a LAN port on this router (NOT WAN port) and give this router a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2 (or 192.168.1.2) and turn off DHCP on this router.

If any of your other devices have fixed IP's, they need to be in the same subnet that you are using.
EG: If your ISP router is 192.168.0.1 and your other router is 192.168.0.2, they need to be in the 192.168.0.* (like 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4, 192.168.0.12 etc).
If your ISP router is 192.168.1.1 and your other router is 192.168.1.2, they need to be in the 192.168.1.* (like 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, 192.168.1.12 etc).

So in the end all devices need to be on 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.*

Many times in the past UMS users have had the same problem as you due to a bad setup using 2 different subnets.
cfpaula

Post by cfpaula »

This is the actual situation:
The main Internet Router has IP 192.168.0.1 and has DHCP server active.

The 2nd router has IP 192.168.1.1 and is connect via cable to the the main Internet router using WAN port. DHCP server is active too.
So, the UMS software is installed in a PC (192.168.1.10) which is connect via cable to this 2nd router.
There is two TV sets that connects via WIFI to this 2nd router and are using UMS very well

In other room I have a 3rd router, connect via WAN port to the Internet Router, with IP 192.168.1.2, the same situation to the 2nd router.
Note that this router is in the same subnet like 2nd router.

But here is the real problem. I have a WDTV connect via CABLE to this 3rd router and receives IP address from it (192.168.1.150).
This WDTV media player does not can access the UMS in the PC.

Unfortunately I do not know to attach a picture here.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

From what little I know you need to turn off DHCP on any other router that is not your main one when connecting routers together.
If you have DHCP enabled on each router then they fight to try to assign IP addresses to each device.
And only use the WAN port to connect to your phone line (or other internet connection), it probably won't work for connecting to anything else.

Why have you set up your network this way? are you just using spare routers as switches? or is there another reason?
Might be helpful if we know what make and model routers you are using too.

@Boss knows much more about networking so would be able to better advise.

To attach a picture just click the attachments tab below and click "add files". If it is a picture it will be displayed.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
boss

Post by boss »

Your setup is all wrong even if you were not using UMS.

Can you advise the make/model of the routers.

As mik_s says. you should only have 1 router supplying DHCP on your LAN and the other routers need to be setup just as switches and WiFi access points.

The other 2 routers (not the main router) should be connected by their LAN port (Not WAN port).
Although some more recent routers have an option in their config to set the router to "Router", "Extender" or "Access Point" mode and some of these make the WAN port a LAN port when configured as an "Extender" or "Access Point".
cfpaula

Post by cfpaula »

Dear friends, now all is running correct. The solution was more easy than I supposed.
I do not change nothing in the net configuration.
Simply, instead of connect the media player by cable to the router, because it has not wifi capabilities, I connect it by cable but to a WiFi repeater (wifi extended range), which is connect to the router where the PC (UMS) is running.
This wifi repeater send IP to the media player inside the main router range.
Thans a lot for all that help me in this matter.