UMS not appearing as a DNLA/UPnP server linux server

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
andymc

UMS not appearing as a DNLA/UPnP server linux server

Post by andymc »

Hi I am trying to setup a UMS server for my home network. I'm using a linux based server running ubuntu.

I have everything running but my server is not showing up as a UPnP device on any of the clients around the house.

I had a found a similar post debugging this issue, but it is a bit windows-centric so I thought i would open a new one to debug in linux.

https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... php?t=8585

So I'm seeing similar behavior the the user in that post. I can connect to the UMS webpage via a browser but it does not show up as a UPnP service on any of my media devices on my network.

I read through the debugging steps on that post and I too am seeing that I am unable to connect to my server on port 5001.

Code: Select all

andymc@media-server:~$ curl localhost:5001/description/fetch
curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 5001 after 0 ms: Connection refused
but i checked the ports that i am listening on and saw that ums does seem to be listening on that port

andymc@media-server:~$ netstat -an | grep LISTEN | grep -E "(5|9)001"
tcp        0      0 10.8.3.6:5001           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
note the difference in IP between the web server and the DNLA server. It's binding to the wrong network interface I believe.

now i noticed that post i referenced ultimately was caused by some nordvpn settings. Well my linux server also uses a vpn client, but I don't have an "Invisible on lan" setting available there to toggle on and off, so I am trying to figure out how to resolve in that environment.

I use openvpn and systemctl to run the vpn client on server boot. Curious if i need to add something to my openvpn client config to make sure UMS
andymc

Re: UMS not appearing as a DNLA/UPnP server linux server

Post by andymc »

I was able to get past this by setting the skip_network_interfaces option in my ~/.config/UMS.conf

If you look at the network interfaces using ip addr you can see a list of the network interfaces. In my case the VPN interface was called tun

So I added the following line to my config

skip_network_interfaces = tap,vmnet,vnic,tun
that managed all of my UPnP issues