Upcoming features

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Upcoming features

Post by SubJunk »

We have lots of features in the works for you guys and gals and I think this is a good time to go over some of the bigger ones!
  • Smart folders/file renaming:
    • UMS has always mostly relied on your folder structure for its own. With this feature, files are "prettified" and virtual folders are created for groups of files (like TV shows). This means you can just dump all your files into a folder and UMS will organise it all for you.
  • Playback resume
    • This feature saves your position in the video, so you can resume it in days, months or years. We already support it for many renderers while the program remains open, but this will save it even when it is closed, and for all renderers.
  • New media
    • This automatically marks videos when they have been watched which allows you to use the new virtual folder "New Media", which contains only the videos you have not watched.
The combination of these 3 features results in a new, intelligent folder structure that allows you to spend less time organizing and more time watching!

As always, UMS gives you ultimate control over which features you want, so these can always be disabled for those users who prefer to do their organizing manually.

Let us know what you think below!
jhr1948

Re: Upcoming features

Post by jhr1948 »

too cool!!! Especially playback resume. Makes things so much easier. Will it automatically resume or will the options resume and play from beginning be there?
Thanks for all the hard work
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I tried the prettify names feature in OP's 2.7.0 beta build.

I realize that you may not be done with all the features in this...but will it be an all or nothing feature? I noticed that in the beta I can turn it off, but will we be able to turn parts off? By that I mean that I don't need to see the resolution, but I may want to see Subbing Groups name if I have files from two different groups. So I may want to turn off one and not the other. Also, I noticed that with prettify on, you can't turn on file extensions. Some may want to be able to do that as well.

The following are just asthetic comments. Ignore at will.

I thought the "Prettify" checkbox may look nicer under the "Ignore the word 'The"" option so both check box options are on the right. And there's more space on the right.

And swapping the places of "Hide live Subtitle" and "Browse compressed archives" would have three "hide folders" option on the same line.

Thanks for an already great program and your constant improvments! "Your" being all the contributors.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

jhr1948 wrote:too cool!!! Especially playback resume. Makes things so much easier. Will it automatically resume or will the options resume and play from beginning be there?
Good question. As it is now, the latter :)
Madoka wrote:I tried the prettify names feature in OP's 2.7.0 beta build.

I realize that you may not be done with all the features in this...but will it be an all or nothing feature? I noticed that in the beta I can turn it off, but will we be able to turn parts off? By that I mean that I don't need to see the resolution, but I may want to see Subbing Groups name if I have files from two different groups. So I may want to turn off one and not the other. Also, I noticed that with prettify on, you can't turn on file extensions. Some may want to be able to do that as well.
Yes, prettify is all or nothing. If you want control over it then just disable it and rename the files yourself :)
Madoka wrote:The following are just asthetic comments. Ignore at will.

I thought the "Prettify" checkbox may look nicer under the "Ignore the word 'The"" option so both check box options are on the right. And there's more space on the right.

And swapping the places of "Hide live Subtitle" and "Browse compressed archives" would have three "hide folders" option on the same line.
Yeah I agree, I think I will do both of those
Madoka wrote:Thanks for an already great program and your constant improvments! "Your" being all the contributors.
Cheers!
airgear247

Post by airgear247 »

crazy awesome features ... its gonna make my life so much easier! thanks not many replies but people defintatly appreciate ur just lazy at registering to say thanks lol! great WORK :D
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Cool, the resume option was something I was even thinking about yesterday.. haha..
tanaytopac

Post by tanaytopac »

Before I met UMS, I tried many UPNP clients and I was wishing I'd be able to install XBMC to my smart tv. But UMS is so amazing that I don't seek any feature of XBMC anymore on my TV. And with these additions, it'll get more and more amazing. Thank you guys, please keep up the good work ;)
krazyfiend

Post by krazyfiend »

Thanks Subjunk for the update, some great features to look forward to! UMS is a staple in my household for the two ps3's and 3 wdtv live units throughout.

I do have a small inquiry about the feasibility of integrating on demand delay & speed up of audio for manual syncing purposes (-100, -200, -300ms and so on) that can be done by the wdtv through it's menu options. Is this not feasible because it needs to happen via the hardware renderer itself because of the decoders/codecs used by UMS? I'm just wondering, as it's a immensely useful feature and one of the few things that still has me entertaining the thought of running a small htpc w/ vlc or xbmc. Sorry if this really shows how technically ignorant I am about what's under the hood.

Your time and efforts are truly appreciated!
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Sounds like a bunch of excellent features. Now that you mention TV shows and virtual folders organization, would it be possible to implement something related to the folder/file icons for even better list displays? (my suggestion at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=630)
Thanks a lot again for this wonderful server, Wolf
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

If UMS was a girl, I'd date her...

;)