MEncoder and subtitle problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
sanjeev

Re: MEncoder and subtitle problem

Post by sanjeev »

I have one more data point. Some mkv files work with subtitles if we remove the Keep AC-3 tracks option in Common Transcode Settings-->Audio Settings. But that is only for some and not all. Also when they work, after a while the audio goes very slow (the PMS problem of muddles slow audio).
Quaternion

Post by Quaternion »

sanjeev wrote:I have tried many configurations and options. Nothing works.

I got ffmpeg subtitles working (the font folder is in the wrong location in osx package), but they do not work on all video files. Very weird.

Given most of my video collection is not working with any engine consistently on UMS, and EVERYTHING is working on PMS 1.81.0, I am forced to switch to using PMS. Unfortunate, but I have no way out and there seems to be no progress even after providing all the logs and details.

This is both on 2.6.4 & 3.0.x
I have installed PMS 1.81.0 also after your message, but the same problem occurs?????
The only difference with you is that i use Windows 7 x64 instead of Apple.
sanjeev

Post by sanjeev »

The mystery gets deeper. I can run ALL of my video media on PMS 1.81 and right now my only respite to play anything at all :)

And all this time the Samsung TV renderer plays everything perfectly well on any version of UMS. While I think this is a UMS + PS3 issue, I somehow feel the core of the problem is in PS3 and since we cannot drive fixes there, we are left with fixing our part of the media server and somehow "comply"
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I've seen a few post's like this and there maybe something we can do to try and figure out the issue. It's out of my comfort zone so i'll see if one of the others can help
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Can you guys please test previous versions of UMS so we can find out exactly when this bug started happening? All previous versions are here
sanjeev

Post by sanjeev »

The last version which worked well for me was 1.6.0 :). Anything after that has always had problems (at least for me). For my family viewing I have always used 1.6.0. For testing I take the latest and report. But after the stupid Java update from apple, 1.6 and above stopped working until 2.6.3 fixed it.

I reported similar issues here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=417 and here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=780

My apologies for not following up on them :)
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

No updates? :(
emutt

Post by emutt »

Well, I too have the same issue. This morning, I did a reboot, launch of UMS and tried a movie.
Went well for about a half hour, then the stuttering starts up no matter if I watch thru the
PS3 or directly to my Pioneer Kuro. Same issue regardless...so, not the renderer it seems.

I tried going to several version of PS3 MS as well as the current. Same issue.

So, to me.. :) it seems it has to do with either mencoder or something to do with Java.
Do we have a memory leak somewhere? Cuz like I said, worked fine after a reboot/restart
for about half an hour...then stu----ttt---eer. :) And that's with or without subs.

:(

UPDATE: I installed the linux version on one of my 'nix boxes. No issues on that install on Ubuntu with 3.0.0-a3
running on that platform. Seems to me the video looks better all around. Better mencoder or something or, it's
just me :) but mainly, no skipping/stuttering issues.
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

For unrelated reasons i had to restore my Dell Notebook factory image.
I have installed latest hava update and UMS and fortunately .mkvs play just fine...
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

vienmnguyen wrote:Is the font cache located in: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\fontconfig\cache ?
I tried deleteing it and resetting everything, but same problem unfortunately.

I've decided to suck it up and just hook my damn computer straight to my tv haha. After taking a step back I've realized that this is such a first world problem.

hahahahaha i love 1st world problems....