Need advice - UMS/SVP

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
panni

Need advice - UMS/SVP

Post by panni »

Dear forum,

I'm about to move to a new home where I'll have a distinct fileserver sitting in a dark hole, which should serve my media files.
Currently I love watching stuff using Smooth Video Project (SVP), from svp-team.com with XBMC DSPlayer on Windows 7.

Now here's the thing - how can I manage to have one single instance which holds my media and watched information (via Plex or UMS or whatever),
get that stuff streamed to multiple TVs in the new flat INCLUDING SVP functionality (motion/frame interpolation to 60fps), retaining as much usability as possible?

I see those options:
- somehow create a virtual file system which on-access live encodes the media file to 60fps so the frontend doesn't have to have DirectShow/AviSynth compatibility
- add a frontend to every TV by using some kind of additional hardware (Plex or UMS frontend on a miniPC? Would that mean Windows installations on those, to be able to use the SVP stuff? Does the motion interpolation feature of UMS using the SVP DLLs work on linux?)
- don't care, use the motion interpolation features which come with the new TV I'll buy (and instead of buying a fileserver capable of live SVP put the saved money into the TV for perhaps better motion interpolation? If so, are there devices with better motion interpolation quality than others?)
- use UMS and its SVP functionality on Windows, stream the content to the TVs using DLNA? (that lacks usability though I think)

Basically I'm thinking of a fileserver/HTPC hybrid.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't care whether the fileserver runs on Windows, OSX or Linux, as long as I get the goal of centralized SVP streaming done :D

Thank you guys in advance
DeFlanko

Re: Need advice - UMS/SVP

Post by DeFlanko »

I belive some parts of, if not all parts of, SVP, are included in UMS.

In the "About Tab" shows a link back to it. I can only assume that its incorporated some how.

UMS is the solution you're looking for.

In a nutshell: Select the folder you want to stream or transcode, the renderer's you want to stream them to, and vuala DLNA/UPnP at its finest... The Dev's have done an amazing job to keep the Default settings very "out of the box" Ready for most people.
panni

Post by panni »

Thank you! That'd mean I'd lose the nice interface of Plex or XBMC, right? No way around this?
Edit: I should clarify. When I buy a Samsung TV for example, I can use the Plex app natively on the TV. Does UMS support something similar?
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

When you go buy a Samsung TV you DONT have to buy a SmartTV... the picture i took is from a list of INPUTS... not a App...

Mine is a [TV]UN40FH6030... Last years Non-SmartTV 3D 40"...

Annnnd it streams 3D movies from UMS ...juuuuust fiiiinneee.... :D
panni

Post by panni »

Thank you.

Is there perhaps an up-to-date list of currnet TVs and their DLNA interface/UI quality?
What's the best to get at the moment?

Edit: I'm gonna create a new thread on this.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Not sure Pani, but Deflanko and myself use Samsungs (Mine are Smart Tv's but you don't need one as Deflanko said) but most DNLA enabled TV's should be fine. I would recommend what i use but others use Sony/LG/Panasonic TV's with not many issues.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

For me i love the picture quality of a Samsung.

But have you seen those 4K TV's yet?! O.M.G.... :ugeek: