Sony Bravia KDL-W5500

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
squadjot

Sony Bravia KDL-W5500

Post by squadjot »

Detailed specs @ Sony

Highlights:
- Folder thumbnails - Supports Windows® folder thumbnails display (folder.jpg) Note: Thumbnails wont's show if the image size exceeds 512x512px. ( UMS now fixes this automatically by downscaling large thumbnails )
- Net interface speed is about 44mb/s
- Got optical in

Compability in general (PMS and UMS)
- Basically no files will be able to stream, transcoding will be needed in almost all cases.
- TSMuxer: If you don't need subtitles, and the file is compatible, TSMuxer will be pretty fast and responsive.

Tip! To avoid image stretching and stuttering from too much data being sent to the TV, please download the attached Sony-BraviaW5500.conf which adds

Code: Select all

KeepAspectRatio = true
KeepAspectRatioTranscoding = true
MaxVideoBitrateMbps = 30
For new users:
- if you press options button on your remote whilst in DLNA mode, you can set the TV to play next file in folder automatically (single/filelist)
- Normally the TV picks up the movie where you stopped it, if you press options-button when having the file selected, you can choose "Restart" (Play movie from start)
- If you press the Yellow button on the remote, you toggle between thumbnail-view and list-view.
- Use the innner circle to move playhead forward/backward: Up/Down, (will jump intervals), Single Press Left/Right, will start automatic ff/bck in intervals, keep pressing the button to change speed (x1, x2, x3)
- Press and hold Left or Right on inner circle to move playhead to desired time. (Can be quite difficult, but you will use this option alot)
- Press the very inner button of the circle navigation to pause/unpause movie
Attachments
Sony-BraviaW5500.conf
Updated August 2016
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
Last edited by squadjot on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:41 am, edited 16 times in total.
uSlackr

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-W5500

Post by uSlackr »

Have this TV and love it. Question-where do the me coder expert options go?
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

uSlackr wrote:Have this TV and love it. Question-where do the me coder expert options go?

1. Go to tab called Transcoding settings
2. Click on the mencoder engine (located in the left pane)
3. Click the "Expert Settings: Codec- specific parameters" - button

EDIT:
ExSport wrote:Avoid using expert settings which are applied to all renderers.
Check Panasonic.conf file, you will see:

CustomMencoderOptions=-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16\/9:4
Add it to your Sony conf file. This line will add black borders automatically when necessary.
This line is used logically only when you are transcoding.
Does it work with subs together? It should ;)
Last edited by squadjot on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mx5gr

Post by mx5gr »

I enabled the codec settings you mention but I lost all subtitles in mkv 16:9 files.. I tried both and/or ASS & fontconfig, to no effect. Subtitles were restored only when the expert codec settings specified were removed.

MEncoder, TSmuxer, FFMpeg were tried out.

Any ideas?
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Avoid using expert settings which are applied to all renderers.
Check Panasonic.conf file, you will see:

CustomMencoderOptions=-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16\/9:4
Add it to your Sony conf file. This line will add black borders automatically when necessary.
This line is used logically only when you are transcoding.
Does it work with subs together? It should ;)
mx5gr

Post by mx5gr »

I had included the expert encoder settings in the BraviaEX renderer file in the first place, sorry if it was not clear in my phrasing :?

I just installed version 2.2.5 and made the modification you mention. Whether the line was present or not it made no difference. I used all transcoding engines available to play a 720p HDTV MKV file and the same effect with extensive black borders on top and bottom and a stretched screen image in the middle continue to appear irrespective of the custom encoder settings I entered in the renderer's file...
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Send a debug.log and also picture if possible because I don't understand exactly what you mean with

extensive black borders on top and bottom and a stretched screen image in the middle
mx5gr

Post by mx5gr »

OK, will take a pic with my phone and send the log...
m2840

Post by m2840 »

For those who have a Sony Bravia KDL 40w5500 this is the setting I use in Sony-Bravia5500.conf to pad with ffmpeg:

OverrideFFmpegVideoFilter = scale=iw*sar:ih, pad=max(iw*1.09\\,ih*1.09*(16/9)):ow/(16/9):(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2

This command does the padding (horizontal or vertical bars) and also compensate the Bravia's overscan.
The factor 1.09 is to compensate overscan by 9% (in width and height).
I am currently using UMS 6.5.1
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

m2840 wrote:For those who have a Sony Bravia KDL 40w5500 this is the setting I use in Sony-Bravia5500.conf to pad with ffmpeg:

OverrideFFmpegVideoFilter = scale=iw*sar:ih, pad=max(iw*1.09\\,ih*1.09*(16/9)):ow/(16/9):(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2

This command does the padding (horizontal or vertical bars) and also compensate the Bravia's overscan.
The factor 1.09 is to compensate overscan by 9% (in width and height).
I am currently using UMS 6.5.1
Funny, as long i keep KeepAspectRatio = true in the config i never have any problems