Java Virtual Machine Launcher

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
stigmata101

Java Virtual Machine Launcher

Post by stigmata101 »

Hi

i have a problem that is becoming a pain, BTW, love the server besides the issue below.

basically i install the software and it runs. next time i boot up my pc i get the following:

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

the only way i can get rid of it is to uninstall UMS and Java, Reboot, reinstall JAVA and then UMS.

however, the next time in boot up it gives the same error.

i am running windows 8

any help would be appreciated.
djmajicmixx

Re: Java Virtual Machine Launcher

Post by djmajicmixx »

If you get the error message "Could not create the Java Virtual Machine" here is how to fix this problem.

When that happens, the easiest solution that has been tested on both Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 is:

• Open the Control Panel

• Go to System

• Go to Advanced Systems Properties

• Then Environment Variables

• In System Variables, click Add

• New Variable Name: _JAVA_OPTIONS

• New Variable Value: -Xmx512M

• Click OK

That's it, your Java program should now be able to execute properly.
For those interested, Java -Xmx/s is the configuration parameter that control the amount of memory Java uses.

• Xmx sets the maximum heap memory size

• Xms sets the minimum heap memory size

See http://www.jafaloo.com/2011/10/30/java-xmx-memory-setti... for more details on Java Heap memory size and parameters.
stigmata101

Post by stigmata101 »

Hi djmajicmixx

thanks for that, i will try it out tonight, never even switched the PC on last night :shock:

one thing, during the wizard i set the memory option to 1536, basically double the default. would that have any effect?

Regards
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

What version of windows 8 are you running, x64 or 32bit?
You shouldn't touch the Java Heap Settings during install as the default is what's been tested to work and setting anymore than default will just be wasting the global java heap pool of resources.
To change the value back to 768 it's better to just reinstall UMS, but you can change the value in the Registry (if you want to do it that way i'll post it)
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum