Audio stops 1:30 into mkv playback on PS3 (using tsmuxer)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Kakers

Audio stops 1:30 into mkv playback on PS3 (using tsmuxer)

Post by Kakers »

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I installed UMS on my Kubuntu 12.04 box and I've been streaming movies from a nas to a ps3 through UMS. Originally I had a whole slew of issues with audio and video not lining up and eventually I disabled FFmpeg and MEncoder because I figured tsMuxeR could do the mkv container swap work just fine.

My issue is that with some mkv's the audio stops 1:30 into the movie and doesn't return. MPEG4(h.264) with DTS audio work just fine but mkv's with MPEG 1/2 and AC3 have the audio fail 1:30 into playback. If I restart the video, it resumes from where I left off and the audio works for another 1:30 until it dies again. It also does not matter if I keep DTS or keep AC3 or force LPCM, the results are the same.

I attached my debug log at the trace level. My issue could be because I installed UMS wrong and I'm missing dependencies so keep in mind that while I tinker I'm not exactly versed in anything Linux yet.

Any help is appreciated!

As an aside, there were a couple things about a previous debug.log that I looked at that I don't understand.
What does "[New I/O worker #1] Setting margin to 2Mb" mean?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
Pertinent lines from time 19:22:15 (started playing mkv) to 19:25:34 (stopped playing) as well as ~19:23:43 which is when the audio died.
(123.25 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Kakers

Re: Audio stops 1:30 into mkv playback on PS3 (using tsmuxer

Post by Kakers »

Well I see no bites.

As an update, transcoding with FFmpeg works fine.

I looked into Cinavia (never heard of it before) as a possibility for my files having the audio die and tried a couple that reportedly had Cinavia protection and the audio stopped 1:30 into playback but I never once had any kind of announcement. I also tried different audio tracks and all of them stop 1:30 after I select them. I could theoretically play a movie by changing audio tracks every 1:30 but that would be a nuisance :)

If anyone has any thoughts or comments I'd still appreciate them.
Kakers

Post by Kakers »

Version 3.4.0 resolves my issue if I enable the new setting "Encoded audio passthrough for AC-3 and DTS". Issue still exists with the option disabled.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

It is not issue. It is by design of this protection.
Kakers

Post by Kakers »

ExSport wrote:It is not issue. It is by design of this protection.
I was under the impression that Cinavia stopped the audio ~20minutes into video playback and also displayed a message. Is this not the case?
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Yes, that is the case.
Issue still exists with the option disabled.
I reacted on this comment that it seems you are talking about issue in UMS that older version has this issue and new version has still this issue when this option is disabled.
Issue is that PS3 has protection which stops or mutes audio when it is detected in audio stream. Any other device without this protection support doesn't have this behavior (e.g. receiver which decodes audio).