File naming convention to see thumbnails?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
sweets2020

File naming convention to see thumbnails?

Post by sweets2020 »

Hi, Ive just begun using my PS3 media capabilities and so far I'm blown away by how much better the experience is than xbox 360.

The only quibble I have is that I cant get parent folder icons to display in PS3. From I've read in the PMS and UMS forums, this is a limitation of the PS3 software and the only way to get around it is to organise my files in a single folder like this:
Movies\Movie1title.avi
Movies\Movie1title.jpg

This allows me to see folder icons but unfortunately it has become the defacto standard in most, if not all, HTPC programs to automatically organise movies like this:
Movies\Movie title (year)\Movie title (year).ext
Movies\Movie title (year)\folder.jpg or (movie title).tbn (showing pretty cover art)

Standard XBMC/CouchPotato/SickBeard setup.

Is there a way to find some common ground to achieve both my goals for a universal media sharing experience? I'm sure others have had similar issues and maybe found some clever solution. (or am I missing something obvious)

P.S. I'd happily forgo all thumbnails however the pretty pictures are for my children's movies.
DeFlanko

Re: File naming convention to see thumbnails?

Post by DeFlanko »

Ney kind sir.. Ney!

Setting a folder as a centralize folder for Cover art is how i do it!

Granted to get them to show up in the PS3 Menu they will have to be the same as the file of your Video: <same name>.jpg

there is some tools out there, some i've tried some i haven't yet... [i wanted to work on functionality before beautification of my media server =) ]

Movie 411 -
Movie411 allows you to search and download movie information and DVD box art (both front and back covers) in a flash.
The Thumbnail Generator - I've used this before, but its more tedious.

You can also select the "Prettify" feature:

Hope this helps... :)