TV recommended today ?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
emerson8

TV recommended today ?

Post by emerson8 »

Purely from a UMS standpoint.

Have a Sony 40" since before. Somewhat slow and somewhat "quirky" to use in my p.o.v.
Got a 32" for the kid's living room, quite recent model and that's actually quite good.....

Having had Samsung previously, but before DLNA support, so,, haven't got at clue if that's a good choice today...

Anybody with insight/opinions...??

t.i.a.
cyberbooster

Re: TV recommended today ?

Post by cyberbooster »

I have a "dumb" tv and a wd tv live streaming.
I had issues using this with UMS on OsX with Java 7, but now they are resolved (it took me a while to figure it out).

BUT as of now, I would recommend always a "Dumb" tv (a screen even better) plus a dedicated hardware for the streaming. You never know which format will be standard in the next 3-4 years and your *new* tv won't likely get proper updates. So my suggestion is: take a good tv and with the money you spare from buying a standard and not "smart" one, buy a dedicated box (they sell even good android based), so you can update the box if needed leaving the tv as is for the next 4+ years.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Any Samsung or Panasonic tv.
joshmoncapecod

Post by joshmoncapecod »

Samsung smart tv is good, I have one. wish my GF had consulted with me since I don't really need its Smartness! Yes DLNA works, however while it will decode DTS, it is only 2 channel output, it will not pass through DTS out to a receiver Probably never will legal issues and all.

net net, if you want DTS pass through and 5.1/7.1 sound, you still need that dedicated HW and receiver to achieve this. I use a PS3 and receiver.

There are reasons to use DTS pass through, and I like surround sound. Why bother with HD and no surround?