Install UMS on headless debian server

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
feffer777

Install UMS on headless debian server

Post by feffer777 »

Installed java, ffmpeg, etc, extracted the ums download in /opt. Then as root ran UMS.sh...maybe a mistake. the .config files and probably others were not accessible. Changed owner/group to my user...but still seems not right. I want this for a simple purpose...to serve home videos of g'kids to my living room HT through a PS3. I was using Twonky and that worked fine and was pretty simple, but now has become a "pay for" app. UMS seemed like a good replacement, but the instructions seem kinda daunting especially for a headless install. Should I start over using sudo?
mik_s

Re: Install UMS on headless debian server

Post by mik_s »

Sorry can't help with this, I know next to nothing about Linux to give any advice with permissions etc.

If the config files are not accessible to UMS then there might be something else wrong. See if there are any logs created and these should point you in the right direction.

There are also some bugs in the web settings that can prevent the settings from changing in v12 that are being fixed, but you can edit them manually in a text editor.

There are some guides like this about installing UMS on docker which I assume is very similar to just installing on Linux, that might give you an idea on what you are missing.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
boss

Post by boss »

I have been running UMS on a headless Gentoo Linux server for many years.
Where did UMS Install? Was it /opt/ums ?
Where are the configuration files (UMS.conf) etc. installed?
feffer777

Post by feffer777 »

boss wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:21 pm I have been running UMS on a headless Gentoo Linux server for many years.
Where did UMS Install? Was it /opt/ums ?
Where are the configuration files (UMS.conf) etc. installed?
As mentioned, I installed Java, mplayer etc, then extracted the ums linux-64 download in /opt. Read the install.txt and followed it. It created a /home/user/.config/UMS dir with UMS.config and other files. There is also a UMS.conf file in the original extracted download. Seeing that UMS should not be run as root and that .config had root ownership, I see that I've made a mistake, so I changed ownership to user.user and then reran ./UMS.sh This time it showed a few warnings, but finally came to something like "you can view UMS on 192.168.x.x:9002" However, this times out in the browser...nothing comes up. I also started my PS3 and did a search for media servers, but none where found. I read the "howto post" at the front of the forum and will do that, but I think I need to clear up some preliminary things first. I did look at the Docker link, but didn't see anything really applicable...maybe missed something.

Also after research this and that, I came back to the still running UMS.sh instance and saw that it had begun to do a "Library scan" evidently checking every file on my server...obviously not something we want/need probably it needs some input into which directories to search for video content...but I didn't see that in the instructions?
boss

Post by boss »

The "UMS.conf" in the install directory is not used.
The one in: "/home/user/.config/UMS" will be the one being used.

In regard to the "scanned files", UMS.conf has a section where you can put the folders you want scanned.
In V12, it uses a file in "/home/user/.config/UMS" called "SHARED.conf".
When I installed V12, it automatically populated "SHARED.conf" with the folders listed in "UMS.conf"

You could add the scanned folders to "UMS.conf" and see if it populates "SHARED.conf".

Maybe try that first (restart UMS after editing "UMS.conf" and if that doesn't work we can manually setup "SHARED.conf".

The section in "UMS.conf" to add the folders you want scanned is "Shared Folders".
This is mine to give you an idea of the syntax:
#Shared folders
# --------------
# A comma-separated list of absolute path names.
# If empty, the default media folders on your computer will be chosen. That is:
# On macOS:
# - /user/Movies
# - /user/Music
# - /user/Pictures
# On Windows:
# - /user/Music
# - /user/Pictures
# - /user/Videos
# On Linux:
# - /user
# Default: ""
folders = /home/media_mnt/Images, /home/media_mnt/Music, /home/media_mnt/Music Videos, /home/media_mnt/Karaoke Video, /home/media_mnt/Videos/Movies, /home/media_mnt/Videos/TV Series
boss

Post by boss »

Just to mention. I install mine (and always have) as user:root and group:root
/opt is: root:root
/opt/ums is root:root
all files (and subdirectories and their files in /opt/ums/ are root:root
My UMS.conf file is in: /root/.config/UMS and root:root

It may be easier to start again.

Delete what you already have.
Create the directory /opt/ums/ with root:root
Give /opt/ums these privileges: drwxr-xr-x
Copy the download (install file) to /opt/ums
Install by: tar -xvzf filenametountar

I have had mine installed for so long I can't remember exactly but think it will create the folder and files /root/.config/UMS/
Edit /root/.config/UMS/UMS.conf and add the folders you want scanned (as in my example above).

See how that goes.
I also use a startup script that we can get into later once it is running OK for you if you like.
feffer777

Post by feffer777 »

Thx for your posts...especially since you have working experience with a headless linux server! As you suggested, deleted and started over. Ownership and permissions as suggested. In the INSTALL.txt rechecked those steps to make sure all prerequisites were installed OK...all were. On the final step (starting) it says this:

Code: Select all

4. Run (note: UMS should NOT be run as root):

cd ums-$VERSION
        ./UMS.sh

UMS accesses some files in the `ums-$VERSION/` directory (the working directory).
Other files will be looked for in `~/.config/UMS`
So I did that and got the expected output and then stopped ums. I think this first start of ./UMS.sh basically installs the needed config files and I did see that ~/.config/UMS was created, but the content was different from the config version in /opt.

$ vi ~/.config/UMS/UMS.conf 
jwt_secret = 12345678
cred.path = /home/ron/.config/UMS/UMS.cred
engines = FFmpegVideo,MEncoderVideo,tsMuxeRVideo,VLCVideo,FFmpegAudio,tsMuxeRAudio,FFmpegWebVideo,VLCWebVideo,VLCVideoStreaming,MEncoderWebVideo,VLCAudioStreaming,DCRaw,youtubeDl
engines_priority = FFmpegVideo,MEncoderVideo,tsMuxeRVideo,VLCVideo,FFmpegAudio,tsMuxeRAudio,FFmpegWebVideo,youtubeDl,VLCWebVideo,VLCVideoStreaming,MEncoderWebVideo,VLCAudioStreaming,DCRaw
was_youtube_dl_enabled_once = true
ffmpeg_available_gpu_acceleration_methods = none,auto,vdpau,vaapi,drm
uuid = xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx
So I'm not sure how to get the config changes I want into ~/.config/UMS/UMS.conf -- append these to this file and restart? Make a copy in /opt like UMS.conf_bak and then change original one and restart? I'd wing it, but I think this is a pretty important step, thx
boss

Post by boss »

I would do as you suggested.
Make a copy of UMS.conf (UMS.conf.bak) and make the changes to UMS.conf and restart.

Some of the changes you can make to UMS.conf to start with.
# Start minimized to system tray
# ------------------------------
# Sets whether the GUI should start when the program is launched.
# On headless systems, this should be set to true.
# On macOS this is overridden to false.
# Default: false
minimized = true

I DONT LIKE A "MEDIA LIBRARY" FOLDER SO I SET THAT TO FALSE.
# Show the "Media Library" folder
# -------------------------------
# If enabled, the Media Library folder will be available, which lets you
# dynamically filter and sort your media by things like played status, genre,
# rating, etc.
# Default: true
show_media_library_folder = false

SHARED FOLDERS AS IN A PREVIOUS POST.

*****Check /root/.config/UMS/SHARED.conf and see if it has populated with the SHARED FOLDERS.
If it has not, we can edit that file and add them manually.

*****PS: On your Debian server, are your startup scripts located in "/etc/init.d" ?
Cheers
feffer777

Post by feffer777 »

Made the changes to ~/.config UMS.conf that you suggested, and to better understand read thru the entire file.
My ~/.config UMS.conf file does not have a section for Shared Folders. My SHARED.conf file reads:

[
  {
    "file": "/opt/ums-12.0.1",
    "monitored": true,
    "metadata": true,
    "active": true,
    "type": "Folder"
  },
  {
    "file": "/home/ron",
    "monitored": true,
    "metadata": true,
    "active": true,
    "type": "Folder"
  }
]
I think this tells UMS to scan thru everything in my home directory...which since this is a server (backup, music etc) is way too much. I need to narrow this down...at least eliminate all the backup, incremental items.
I think I need to either add a Shared Folders section manually to UMS.conf or alter the SHARED.conf file to a specific directory or set of them.

And yes, startup scripts are in /etc/init.d/
feffer777

Post by feffer777 »

OK, tried altering the SHARED.conf file from "/home/ron" to "/home/ron/datax/video" which is the directory where I keep my g'kids videos etc which were accessed before by Twonky. Started UMS.sh which started OK:

***cut***INFO  12:24:33.874 [main] Transcoding engine "VLC Web Video (Legacy)" is available
INFO  12:24:33.885 [main] Transcoding engine "DCRaw" is available
INFO  12:24:33.886 [main] Transcoding engine "youtube-dl" is available
INFO  12:24:34.168 [main] Using the following UUID configured in UMS.conf: e7ca340e-18ce-4767-a8d2-4bede4a5b147
INFO  12:24:35.219 [pool-5-thread-1] Checking IP: 192.168.1.139 for Samsung E+ Series
INFO  12:24:35.343 [pool-5-thread-2] Checking IP: 192.168.1.154 for Apple iPad / iPhone
INFO  12:24:35.513 [pool-5-thread-1] Renderer Samsung E+ Series found on address: 192.168.1.139
INFO  12:24:35.513 [pool-5-thread-2] Renderer Apple iPad / iPhone found on address: debian.lan (192.168.1.xxx)            [my debian server]
INFO  12:24:35.657 [main] Web interface is available at: http://192.168.1.xxx:9002
INFO  12:24:35.751 [pool-5-thread-3] Checking IP: 192.168.1.165 for LG OLED
INFO  12:24:35.954 [pool-5-thread-3] Renderer LG OLED found on address: 192.168.1.165
INFO  12:24:36.884 [pool-5-thread-4] Checking IP: 192.168.1.223 for PlayStation 3
INFO  12:24:37.089 [pool-5-thread-4] Renderer PlayStation 3 found on address: 192.168.1.223
INFO  12:24:38.946 [main] Universal Media Server is now available for renderers to find        	   [I assume at this point it would show up on my PS3]
INFO  12:24:50.727 [pool-5-thread-2] Renderer Apple iPad / iPhone has an estimated network speed of 2815.3839660506346 Mb/s
INFO  12:24:50.790 [pool-5-thread-1] Renderer Samsung E+ Series has an estimated network speed of 52.65209971922387 Mb/s
INFO  12:24:51.010 [pool-5-thread-3] Renderer LG OLED has an estimated network speed of 48.67533656101824 Mb/s		[wireless connection...probably wouldn't be used]
INFO  12:24:52.157 [pool-5-thread-4] Renderer PlayStation 3 has an estimated network speed of 207.5997618838021 Mb/s          [a wired connection]
^CINFO  12:25:36.013 [File watcher] Exception in thread "File watcher" java.nio.file.ClosedWatchServiceException			[from here down...haven't seen this before...]
INFO  12:25:36.014 [File watcher] 	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.AbstractWatchService.checkOpen(Unknown Source)
INFO  12:25:36.015 [File watcher] 	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.AbstractWatchService.take(Unknown Source)
INFO  12:25:36.015 [File watcher] 	at net.pms.util.FileWatcher.lambda$start$0(FileWatcher.java:197)
INFO  12:25:36.018 [File watcher] 	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
WARN  12:25:36.057 [Library Scanner] Unhandled exception while resolving kids-tv: Task net.pms.util.APIUtils$$Lambda$305/0x00000008010938a0@6b48e080 rejected from java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor@a069c6c[Shutting down, pool size = 1, active threads = 1, queued tasks = 0, completed tasks = 94]
WARN  12:25:37.488 [Library Scanner] Unhandled exception while resolving paleonthologists_all: Task net.pms.util.APIUtils$$Lambda$305/0x00000008010938a0@2262339c rejected from java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor@a069c6c[Shutting down, pool size = 1, active threads = 1, queued tasks = 0, completed tasks = 94]
WARN  12:25:38.613 [Library Scanner] Unhandled exception while resolving rg-gg_piano: Task net.pms.util.APIUtils$$Lambda$305/0x00000008010938a0@3cb7b210 rejected from java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor@a069c6c[Shutting down, pool size = 1, active threads = 1, queued tasks = 0, completed tasks = 94]
WARN  12:25:39.775 [Library Scanner] Unhandled exception while resolving xmas-presents-2011: Task net.pms.util.APIUtils$$Lambda$305/0x00000008010938a0@53dd097e rejected from java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor@a069c6c[Shutting down, pool size = 1, active threads = 1, queued tasks = 0, completed tasks = 94]
****note**** the previous 4 Warning lines are about home video .mp4 files shot about 12 years ago..."rejected..." not sure why or how to fix. Seems to be the reason for UMS shutting down ***end-note***
INFO  12:25:39.814 [UMS Shutdown] Stopping Universal Media Server 12.0.1
I added notes in a few places. Guessing that the alteration in SHARED.conf worked, and that UMS found my PS3 and TV area, but that some problems in my existing home videos stopped UMS.