server doesn't detect media renderers anymore

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
MelonFanta

server doesn't detect media renderers anymore

Post by MelonFanta »

this has been happening for about a week or so now and haven't been able to find any sort of solution. i noticed it wouldn't load my ps4 every time but my smart tv wouldn't have any issues but now the entire thing just doesn't work. about a week ago i noticed there were errors for basically every file it was loading in, but i was still able to use it on my ps4 and smart tv. fast foward a couple days and it doesn't even load my smart tv as a media renderer. when i look at the logs, the error(s) just say:

09:39:45 ERROR Failed to start web graphical user interface server : Address already in use: bind
09:39:45 ERROR Failed to start web player server : Address already in use: bind
09:39:45 ERROR A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: Cannot invoke "com.sun.net.httpserver.HttpServer.getAddress()" because "this.server" is null

i never had any issues with this up until about a week ago and it's just progressively gotten worse, to the point where it just doesn't work at all. everything is connected via lan cable, tried a clean install twice, checked to make sure my firewall wasn't (suddenly) blocking it, restarting my router, but nothing i've tried has done anything to help...

oh, i'm also on version 13.0.0.

any ideas of what could be wrong and how to fix it?
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-12-30-09-52.zip
(26.16 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
mik_s

Re: server doesn't detect media renderers anymore

Post by mik_s »

Those errors usually mean UMS is already running when you start UMS, its not just the address but the database that is in use.

Quit UMS and check the task manager for the process "javaw.exe" which runs UMS and make sure this it is stopped. If not then kill it.

When you restart UMS this should now work. I wonder if somehow the old version is running when this version is started.

Your logs were not in trace mode so I could not see if there was any other cause of this. If you still have problems the please post new logs following the section in red above.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Oooch

Re: server doesn't detect media renderers anymore

Post by Oooch »

This is definitely an issue with UMS 13

UMS 11 works great so have rolled back to that because shouldn't be dealing with things already being in use when I've just restarted or having to kill java.exe as soon as I've restarted every time when whatever the old method was worked flawlessly every time

As soon as I roll back to 11 everything works great again and no file in use issues