Web Content -> Vodcasts -> "Corrupted Data"

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Aragorn

Web Content -> Vodcasts -> "Corrupted Data"

Post by Aragorn »

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I am experiencing the following two problems with version 13.2.0.

1) All  Web Content shows as "Corrupted Data"  My particular interest is in the Web->Vodcasts->TED Talks Daily (SD Video). I have no problems playing back videos from my local folders.

2) The UserID and Password that needs to be created to log in to the Web Portal of UMS only work once. After you log out and attempt to log in using the same credentials, they are no longer recognized.

I am not particularly concerned about problem (2) because I have located the file I can delete to enable me to get prompted to create a new UserID and Password and then either choose to log in automatically or disable authentication altogether. It will be great if problem (1) is resolved, however.

The problems do not exist with version 11.6.0 which is the last version I was using. I am attaching the debug files for both versions 11.6.0 and 13.2.0. I will also attach screenshots of the relevant screens where the folder entries are made. I hope to be able to attach all the screenshots as I found that I am limited to just three attachments.

Technical details:
UMS client used is for Windows. My Windows version is 7 Pro 32 bit - 4GB Ram
Browser - Firefox Version - 110.0
Renderer - Sony PS3
Television = Sony Model KP57HP40 (Rear Projection)
Attachments
UMS Ver 13.2.0_Client Shared Folders.JPG
UMS Ver 13.2.0_Client Shared Folders.JPG (72.99 KiB) Viewed 816 times
UMS_Ver_13.2.0_dbg_2023-02-16.zip
(268.23 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
UMS_Ver_11.6.0_dbg_2023-02-17.zip
(285.51 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
mik_s

Re: Web Content -> Vodcasts -> "Corrupted Data"

Post by mik_s »

I tried copying the section for your web content into my shared.conf file and it seems to play fine on my PS4.
I do get problems when playing in the web player but I'll investigate that later. Does it work for you? If not could you post new logs so I can compare with mine.

There is a connection reset error in your logs as you start playing that feed as there is something the PS3 does not like.

I thought it may be because you have a comma in "Web,Vodcasts" which just shows the one folder with that name.
I'm assuming you want it to be "Web" with "Vodcasts" inside it. If so then change it to "Web/Vodcasts". This may be a change due to the web interface.

According to your system info you only have 2Gb of ram and a very old CPU. It may be that your computer just cannot keep up with the processing needed to download and transcode web content in the latest version.

I think it was around V12 they started to use youtube-dl to fetch YouTube videos and that may take up more resources to work, which is why 11.6.0 still worked for you. There are still connection reset errors in your 11.6.0 logs so it was struggling to keep up too.

There may be something wrong with your system memory too if you say you have 4Gb. Only 2Gb is being detected so one of your modules may be faulty.

Code: Select all

JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 17.0.4.1 (64-bit) by BellSoft
  Language: English (United States)
  Encoding: UTF-8
  CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5300  @ 2.60GHz with 2 cores (Penryn (Client) / Penryn (Server))
  Physical Memory: 2.0 GiB
  Free Memory: 1.1 GiB
  Maximum JVM Memory: 768 MiB
  Used network interfaces:
  Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet, speed 100 Mb/s
  Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet-QoS Packet Scheduler-0000, speed 100 Mb/s
  Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet-WFP LightWeight Filter-0000, speed 100 Mb/s

That login problem is a strange one. I had something similar on the last version, I could not login from a different computer but when I was investigating it I got hit with another bug that broke the web interface. After trying out a test build that fixed that problem I could not reproduce the login problem, even reinstalling the bugged version.
Are you using any ad blockers? Did you store the password in firefox? Try resetting any site data and cookies for localhost.

I'm sure this is the file you deleted to get the prompt to create a new user but just in case this is it

Code: Select all

C:\ProgramData\UMS\database\USERS.mv.db
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Hello Mik_a

Thanks so much for your help and the trouble you have gone to. I greatly appreciate it.

1) "I tried copying the section for your web content into my shared.conf file and it seems to play fine on my PS4.
I do get problems when playing in the web player but I'll investigate that later. Does it work for you? If not could you post new logs so I can compare with mine."

With regard to your above request, I assume you would like me to check if the TED Talks play in the UMS web client and if not to post new logs. I will try and get this done asap.

2) "I thought it may be because you have a comma in "Web,Vodcasts" which just shows the one folder with that name.
I'm assuming you want it to be "Web" with "Vodcasts" inside it. If so then change it to "Web/Vodcasts". This may be a change due to the web interface."

The comma between "Web,Vodcasts" is because that's how it appears in the 11.6.0 client and I believe I saw an instruction to enter info in "comma delimited" format. I did try the "web/Vodcasts" as you suggestes but it did not work either. (See attachment "UMS Ver_11.6.0_Client Shared folders.jpg).

3) "According to your system info you only have 2Gb of ram and a very old CPU. It may be that your computer just cannot keep up with the processing needed to download and transcode web content in the latest version."

You raise a very good point here and I am inclined to think that this may be the whole problem. Insufficient CPU processing power and RAM. I do have 4GB of RAM in total but Windows only reports 3GB and I guess UMS only has access to 2GB.

So if you feel this may be the real contributing factor to my issues, then please don't waste any more of your time and effort on this problem. I guess it is time for me to upgrade to a better PC :)

4) "That login problem is a strange one. I had something similar on the last version, I could not login from a different computer but when I was investigating it I got hit with another bug that broke the web interface. After trying out a test build that fixed that problem I could not reproduce the login problem, even reinstalling the bugged version.
Are you using any ad blockers? Did you store the password in firefox? Try resetting any site data and cookies for localhost."

I am not using any Ad Blockers with Firefox for sure unless one or more of Firefox's default security settings are the culprit. Also, I have not stored the password in Firefox. I never do actually.

5) "I'm sure this is the file you deleted to get the prompt to create a new user but just in case this is it
C:\ProgramData\UMS\database\USERS.mv.db"

You are correct sir! That is the file. I was afraid to mention it as I thought I might get into trouble for revealing it.

I will try your suggestions as mentioned in point (1) above and post the logs.

Thanks very much, once again, Mik_a.

Cheers,
Aragorn
Attachments
UMS Ver_11.6.0_Client Shared Folders.JPG
UMS Ver_11.6.0_Client Shared Folders.JPG (174.43 KiB) Viewed 777 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

1) Yes if you don't mind. I just want to make sure the error I was seeing is not something wrong on my end.

2) I think the way folders are used in V12 was changed when the settings moved to the web interface and all the separate files used for web content and virtual folders were merged in to one file.
The way it was now that folder showed up as "Web,Vodcasts" and not "Web" with the "Vodcasts" folder inside it.

3) Your system is only showing 2Gb total, that is not what is available to UMS.
I think you have a faulty memory module and Windows is detecting that there is one present in that slot (I'm assuming you have 2 2Gb dimms) but none of that memory is usable. May be windows is misidentifying it as a 1Gb module so is why it reports 3Gb total. I suggest you run memtest to see what is going on.
I had problems a few years ago and it was due to faulty ram. My system is quite old too being over 10 years old now so was not a surprise if parts start to fail.

I used to run UMS on an old laptop for a bit that had similar specs to you and it struggled to transcode videos to play on my PS3 at the time but could do it if you paused the video to build up a buffer. If you don't need to transcode anything UMS will work fine for you to just stream but anything more taxing may be beyond its capabilities now.

4) Thanks for letting me know. If you did not store the password in firefox then it could be possible you could have mis-typed it. This still does not confirm either way if there is still login problems or it has been fixed. I'll keep a look out to see if anyone else reports problems with this.

5) Its not a secret or anything so its fine.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Hello Mik_a,
I owe you two big apologies. Firstly, I am sorry for not responding to you sooner. I was honestly exhausted from shovelling all the snow we just got.

And secondly, with regard to point:

3), You are absolutely correct. My system does have just 2GB of RAM. And now I am quite embarrassed because I should have known better. At some point in the past when I set up this machine, I knew it had just 2GB of RAM but I since forgot. I only use it for UMS and power it up once a day and don't even log in. My apologies. I should have checked.

1) I have the logs you requested. I generated three:
a) ums_dbg_ver_13.2.0_2023-03-01-A.zip. This log was generated while attempting to play back TED Talks videos in the Web Player. I could see the TED Talks thumbnails but when attempting to play a video, I just got a circle going round and round.

b) ums_dbg_ver_13.2.0_2023-03-01-B.zip. This log was generated while attempting to play back TED Talks videos via my PS3 where I can see the list of TED Talks videos and their thumbnails but they appear as "Corrupted Data" when trying to play.

c) ums_dbg_Ver_11.6.0_2023-03-01.zip. This log is with TED Talks playing without issues in ver 11.6.0 in case you may want to check. I uninstalled this version before re-installing version 13.2.0 to run logs (a) and (b).

4) I did not encounter the Log-In issue with the Web Client this time after re-installing version 13.2.0. I am quite positive about the password I used as I have a set system that I use and can't forget.

And finally, thank you so much for all your help and trouble. If I knew where you are I would buy you lunch at the very least.
Attachments
ums_dbg_ver_13.2.0_2023-03-01-A.zip
(432.55 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
ums_dbg_ver_13.2.0_2023-03-01-B.zip
(312.58 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
ums_dbg_Ver_11.6.0_2023-03-01.zip
(681.92 KiB) Downloaded 46 times