Web player failing for iOS/iPadOS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ajkessel

Web player failing for iOS/iPadOS

Post by ajkessel »

I'm running UMS 13.12.1 on an Ubuntu 22.04 box to provide web-based access to video files. Everything works fine from desktop systems, but on iPhone and iPad, attempting to play a video always results in "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported." Is this use case supported? What could I be doing wrong? I don't see any messages in the debug log on the server side that suggest an error.
mik_s

Re: Web player failing for iOS/iPadOS

Post by mik_s »

There could be something different on how iOS is handling the web player.
Will need logs to see if anything obvious is causing it and if not the Devs will need to see why iOS won't play them. (see the section in red above)
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I was just looking though UMS.conf for a setting for someone else and saw this option

Code: Select all

# When Firefox is used on Linux, send videos with a spoofed MP4 MIME type.
# Default: false
web_firefox_linux_mp4 =
Maybe this could help for Safari and iOS too. Try setting it to true and see if it makes a difference.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
shaneo88

Post by shaneo88 »

Hi.

I am having the same issue as OP.

I just tried setting this to true and am having no luck.

I can access and watch my UMS library locally and remotely using any web browser on a PC/laptop, but as soon as I try to do the same thing with a browser on my phone (iphone xs max) I get "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported."

I do have the correct ports opened (in this case 9001 and 9002, 5001 and 5002) for the IP address of my servers.

Also something Ive noted. I can access my main pc on port 9001 and my laptop on port 9002, but the interface is different. on port 9001 i have to login, then i get the Player option and the option to logout in the burger menu top right. on port 9002 all i get is Player and Player (old) in the burger menu in top right. it doesnt ask me to login. UMS is 13.3.0 on both computers.

I will get a log when I can, but for now I have to go.

thanks for any help
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Port 9001 is the main web settings that requires you to login but port 9002 is just the web player which does not have access to the settings so you don't need to login.

I don't have any iOS devices myself (not counting an old iPhone 4) to test it on so would need to see logs to see if anything if different. Try and play the same video on both your PC and your iPhone when making the logs so I can compare how UMS is working with each of them.
MasterX

Post by MasterX »

This happens to me aswell. Windows 10 Host and all Apple devices showing that error. I am a long time user and this was the same years ago. I don't know any way to figure out whats the problem. To Desktop or non Apple devices in general, never expirienced any unfixable errors like that.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Could you post your logs? (see the section in red above) and I'll see if I notice anything.

The devs would need to see them anyway to see why Apple devices are causing problems.