How to disable MKV internal subtittles?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
richardrosenman

How to disable MKV internal subtittles?

Post by richardrosenman »

Hi gang;

I am using UMS 11.4.1

When I play a particular MKV it displays internal subtitles (selectable subtitles embedded in the MKV file, not external nor hardcoded).

If I play this same MKV using Windows Media Player, it doesn't display the subtitles by default, and I can see in the subtitles menu, where I can select it.

How do I disable these internal subtitles when using UMS to stream to my device?

Thanks,
-Richard
mik_s

Re: How to disable MKV internal subtittles?

Post by mik_s »

If the subtitles are embedded in the video and UMS is streaming it than it is down to the renderer to deal with them.
If you don't want the subtitles then don't enable them in the player.

I think it is set to off as default in WMP but will depend on your settings. Sometimes subtitles will show if they have the [Forced] tag and this is usually for when the dialogue is in another language.

It also depends on if UMS is transcoding and burning in the subtitles. Not enough info to go on so will need logs to see what is happening.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.