Apple Media players?

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
mik_s

Re: Apple Media players?

Post by mik_s »

That conf I modified was the one that was being used and does have a good match with the headers. If you are seeing stutters still it will be because it is being transcoded still and that edit did not work. This should in theory still play fine but does take a little while to get started as it needs to get a buffer going, but you should try and avoid transcoding whenever possible.

You don't need to remove the other apple confs as they should not match. As I was checking the matching criteria in them to the other confs then only the one I altered would match.

I'm not sure but I think when you were forcing a renderer it is still using that one. I don't know if you have changed anything else since but I would suggest quitting UMS and deleting your UMS.conf from the settings folder (looks to be "/Users/lee/Library/Application Support/UMS", I only know the definite location on windows) so a new one with default settings will be made when UMS is restarted. It is easier to diagnose when its at a known state.

Could you redo your logs using the modified conf I posted so I can see if it is actually using it. The change might have to be an a new line as a separate entry instead of where I put it. Please do not change anything with the logs as it is harder to find things with how I have my log viewer set up.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Trellspar

Post by Trellspar »

Thanks. Something seems wrong, then. Here's something that I'm having a little difficulty finding a clear explanation for, so I'll just give it a quick try. I'm going to try to list the actions I took after removing the UMS folder from Application Support, and the Universal Media Server app from the Applications folder, restarted and installed again, all settings having returned to their defaults.

First, I overwrote the existing VLC for iOS renderer nested inside the UMS app package with the one you provided, then launched the UMS app.
I changed the name of the server to "UMS".
I set "Force networking on interface:" to "en6...".
I set Default renderer when auto... fails to VLC for iOS. (I did not put a check mark next to "force..")
I removed the check mark next to "Enable external network".
I removed the three default shares and added the folder containing my 3 movies.
I bounced the UMS app and I restarted the Apple TV 4K (I always have to restart the Apple TV after changes, or the Apple TV doesn't see any changes I've made for UMS).
After observing the stuttering issue in VLC on the Apple TV 4K, I posted my question about whether to remove the Apple TV conf files, then I went back to the UMS app and unchecked them in the renderer list to see if that made a difference.
I restarted UMS, then restarted the Apple TV 4K. The difference made by unchecking the VLC for Apple TV config files was that I could no longer see the UMC item in VLC on the Apple TV 4K, so there was no longer any way for me to try to play the movies. So I restored the check mark to the two VLC for Apple TV renderers. After that, I created my previous post.

I'll get you some new logs as soon as I can.
Trellspar

Post by Trellspar »

Here's the latest trace log. I launched UMS with the configuration outlined in the post I submitted yesterday, then I restarted the Apple TV 4K. I started the trace, selected the UMS server in VLC on the Apple TV 4K, started video playback, observed the jumps in video playback, then packed these logs. Thanks.

(removed because different solution found)
Trellspar

Post by Trellspar »

The problems seem to have been related to VLC. Anyway, 8Player doesn't have them. Thanks.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I still think it was not using the conf properly, changing to a different program just makes UMS use the conf for that one instead.

I would like to improve the conf for the apple TV so this does not happen to others. Its not something the devs or I can test as we don't have the same devices so have to rely on users to improve support for them. If you are willing I'd like to get this fixed properly.

I think one of the things that was causing the wrong conf to be used still was changing the default renderer option, this should not have done anything without having forced selected but it could have been a bug that crept in the the settings, I found a few recently that must have been there for several versions. That was one of the reasons for suggesting going back to default settings.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Trellspar

Post by Trellspar »

I’ve saved a draft reply in order to read over your replies again, but the Load Draft option isn’t functioning as I expect (apparently the device I’m using may not be fully compatible with Load Draft). I would like to contribute further, so I’ll try to load the draft again later. If this reply causes me to lose the draft, I’ll ask for more explicit instructions for providing the information you need.
Trellspar

Post by Trellspar »

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here's the loaded draft I saved before.

I can assure you that I patched the app using the iOS config you provided, deleted the UMS conf file from the UMS folder in the user instance of the Application Support folder, ran the wizard on next launch and performed minimal configuration of UMS that included no specification for renderer of any kind, observed the issue when viewing using VLC on the Apple TV 4K, and did not observe the issue when viewing after installation and configuration of 8Player.

However, I would like to contribute my assistance. Would you like me to perform those steps again (excluding reinstallation and configuration of 8Player), and send logs again? If so, should I start trace logging before completion of minimal configuration of UMS?

Thanks.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

If you can, making logs on a fresh install with the only change being the conf I edited will help a lot as I'll be able to see if it is using that conf, and then if it will accept that change.

Just follow the steps as before when making the logs but don't make any changes to the packed zip file so I can just import it into my log viewer and jump to the important part.

Might be helpful to see logs playing on 8player too to see what conf that uses as I don't think there is one for that, but do that in separate logs so it does not confuse things. No need to change your 8player though.
Trellspar

Post by Trellspar »

OK, here you go. Sorry it took so long. Log files are very small, I hope they have something that will help. VLC still stutters, the free version of 8Player does not.
Last edited by Trellspar on Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trellspar

Post by Trellspar »

And here are logs of playback using only the free version of 8Player for Apple TV. BTW, the only remaining issues I have are that the Resume files are displayed as titles, and the 1994 Woody Allen version of Alice is displayed with the icon from the 2022 Krystin Ver Linden version (I'm aware that the two movies have nothing in common other than their titles).