very slow streaming of avi files

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jlrith

very slow streaming of avi files

Post by jlrith »

I have 2 avi files that stream very slowly.
Other files including mpeg, mkv and dvd stream up to 50Mbps, but avi files stream at about 100kbps.
This occurs even if I force transcoding.
It occurs with multiple renderers as well.

Link is from my PC on an 802.11g wireless link to a tablet on a 802.11n 5GHz link.

Any thoughts on what might cause this?
GunerX

Re: very slow streaming of avi files

Post by GunerX »

I did alot of digging into the slow/stuttering problem I was having, and it sounds to me like you are having a similar issue so I will suggest a few things.

1: java heap size, increase it, depending on your RAM and if you are 32bit or 64bit OS
2: this is an odd thing but I tried it and it helped me, in the bandwidth setting it is defaulted to 110, change this to a stupid high number like 90000 (setting it to 0 as the hint box suggested actually made things worse for me, but setting it to a stupid high number helped)
3: set your trqanscoding MPEG-2 quality to keyint=25:vqmax=7:vqmin=2 (this is the setting for WIRELESS HD, a slightly lower quality but it will help load faster)
4: increase your maximum transcode buffer size (again this all depends on your hardware so play around with it and see what works)
5: go into windows firewall via the control panel and create an Inbound rule for both the Port you are using with UMS and for the UMS application itself (2 separate rules)
6: go into windows firewall via the control panel and create an OUTBOUND rule for the UMS application
7: open your Router's settings (assuming you have a router and can configure it) and forward the port you are using with UMS
8: force ip of the server: to find out what your IP is go to start, type in CMD, hit enter, a command prompt will open, type ipconfig, and hit enter. your IP should look something like 192.168.1.something, type that into the force ip of the server box
9: if this STILL doesnt help it may be because the video you are trying to stream is of such a high quality that your renderer cant handle it fast enough, this is usually the case if the video is a full 1080p HD video, for example a 720p video will play perfect but a 1080p one will stutter or load slowly. if this is the case the final solution is to Convert the video file into a smaller file type. this is done using a video converter program and you will need to set it to convert w/e you are watching to a 720p quality movie and then try to stream it. (I had this problem with G.I. Joe 1080p, it would stutter after about 40 seconds and never recover, converting it down to a 720p fixed the stutter)

Hope all this helps.