Video Quality Issues

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
JStair

Video Quality Issues

Post by JStair »

Hello everyone,

I have been searching the forums and the web, but have been unable to find a solution to my problem. It may simply be that I'm a newb and don't know what I should be searching for, so I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed elsewhere.

I'm a new user of UMS and so far I love it. However, I recently tried watching Star Trek (2009) and noticed some video quality issues during one ~5min section of the movie. The video quality gets grainy and pixilated when the camera angle changes,but then clears up after a second or two. The rest of the movie seems to play flawlessly. Other movies (World War Z and Star Trek Into Darkness) play through flawlessly as well. Blu rays are ripped using MakeMKV and then I am playing the uncompressed mkv file.

At first I thought the problem might be the disk, but I played the filed directly on my PC using VLC and I don't notice any issues with that scene.

I am streaming movies directly from my Thinkpad to my PS3 over a wired Gigabit connection.
Computer:
Intel duo core 2.26 GHz
3 GB ram
Win 7 64bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wolfgan

Re: Video Quality Issues

Post by Wolfgan »

JStair wrote:Hello everyone,

I have been searching the forums and the web, but have been unable to find a solution to my problem. It may simply be that I'm a newb and don't know what I should be searching for, so I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed elsewhere.

I'm a new user of UMS and so far I love it. However, I recently tried watching Star Trek (2009) and noticed some video quality issues during one ~5min section of the movie. The video quality gets grainy and pixilated when the camera angle changes,but then clears up after a second or two. The rest of the movie seems to play flawlessly. Other movies (World War Z and Star Trek Into Darkness) play through flawlessly as well. Blu rays are ripped using MakeMKV and then I am playing the uncompressed mkv file.

At first I thought the problem might be the disk, but I played the filed directly on my PC using VLC and I don't notice any issues with that scene.

I am streaming movies directly from my Thinkpad to my PS3 over a wired Gigabit connection.
Computer:
Intel duo core 2.26 GHz
3 GB ram
Win 7 64bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe the transcoding process is chocking. Go to the TRANSCODE folder and test if the one using tsMuxer works well (low CPU usage server side on the process).
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )