how to play a movie from a shortcut

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
blue6789

how to play a movie from a shortcut

Post by blue6789 »

Hi. I asked this question before but never received a definitive answer.
I have almost all of my movies stored on an external hard drive.
I have one folder for each letter of the alphabet to make it easier to sort.
What I would like to do is make folders for Christmas movies or Halloween movies or thanksgiving movies.
I am aware that I could make these folders and then make a copy of the appropriate movies and put them in the corresponding holiday folder.
I don't want to go that route because it wastes a lot of extra hard drive space.
I have tried using shortcuts of the original movie to achieve this, but UMS doesn't recognize shortcuts.

So what I want to I know is:
1 - is it possible to add something to UMS that would allow it to see and use shortcuts to movies?
2 - is there some other way I can achieve the effect I am looking for?

Again, just to be clear lets say I have a folder named "MOVIES H" and inside of that folder is "Home Alone 01"
I want to have a folder names "Christmas Movies" and I have to have a shortcut or something like that to "Home Alone 01"

if for some reason there is no way to do this and never will be, please just explain why.
Thank you in advance for your help
Wolfgan

Re: how to play a movie from a shortcut

Post by Wolfgan »

If you're using a windows system, a shortcut is nothing else that a system text file barely supported outside explorer.
What you need to implement is hard links or junctions instead, which is the functionality you're looking for (Unix like, no waste of storage space, transparent for all apps as it's implemented at os level)
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx
I hope it helps, Wolf
Last edited by Wolfgan on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
blue6789

Re: how to play a movie from a shortcut

Post by blue6789 »

I did a little research on symbolic links and hard links and I found that symbolic links are exactly what I needed. With a little messing around with the code I now added a whole new level of functionality to my media server. THANK YOU WOLFGAN!!! :D