UMS 3.5.0 - BlueScreen

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
lucasmnk

UMS 3.5.0 - BlueScreen

Post by lucasmnk »

Hi,

My TV is a Philips 42PFL7007. My previous UMS version was 2.6.5 and i had no problem, but after updated to 3.5.0 i always get a blue screen when a try to play any movie. Is it a decoding issue? Another issue is that on 1080p movies, even the subtitle named like the movie file, my server does not reproduce it. I already checked the subtitles settings and its everything OK. When i try to watch a TV series (300MB file) the subtitle works fine.
Fenzor

Re: UMS 3.5.0 - BlueScreen

Post by Fenzor »

Hi back,

Could you post the debug log from UMS, on trace level.
Until you do, we don't stand a hope trying to either re-create the error or try fixing it. :)

Set the debug on trace, play the video and wait for the blue screen to appear, then try to retrieve the log (debug.log-file) from your UMS installation folder.

Getting a blue screen is bad...
Sure you're not having hardware issues?
Maybe the temperature on your computer while transcoding is getting too high.
A friend of me got blue screens almost all the time doing "hard work" on the computer.
Found out at the end, that his water-cooling pump for his CPU was shutting down. :P

Try to monitor your temperature while playing videos, and report back. ;)
lucasmnk

Post by lucasmnk »

Fenzor wrote:Hi back,

Could you post the debug log from UMS, on trace level.
Until you do, we don't stand a hope trying to either re-create the error or try fixing it. :)

Set the debug on trace, play the video and wait for the blue screen to appear, then try to retrieve the log (debug.log-file) from your UMS installation folder.

Getting a blue screen is bad...
Sure you're not having hardware issues?
Maybe the temperature on your computer while transcoding is getting too high.
A friend of me got blue screens almost all the time doing "hard work" on the computer.
Found out at the end, that his water-cooling pump for his CPU was shutting down. :P

Try to monitor your temperature while playing videos, and report back. ;)
Hi,

Just to undo any confusion. My bluescreen is on my tv not on my computer. I have 2 tvs, both philips, 40PFL6606 and 42PFL7007. The first one plays my series just fine using the UMS 3.5.0. The second no. Always get blue screen. Is like if it was not able to play or any incompatibile with this version, because using 2.6.5 it didn't happen.

But an issue the happen using any of these 2 tvs, is trying to play 1080p movies. The subtitle, even named like the movie file.srt is not played. I tried using .mkv and .mp4 files but the same problem. When i try a tv series file (less than 1gb file) the subtitle works fine.

I'm gonna post my debug log as you asked, but these information might help.
Fenzor

Post by Fenzor »

Okey, nice to get that confusion out of the way ;P

But it seems to me like you may have to modify the "PhilipsPFL.conf" file in the "renderers"-folder. I may be wrong... :(
In this file it is specified what formats is supported by you TV. And some other things too...

This is based on the fact that one of your TVs is supported, but not the other for some reason.
There can be some small differences between the models on what is supported video-formats and such...
Try to search on the net, and report back if you find anything. ;)
Link I found in the "PhilipsPFL.conf"-file: http://www.supportforum.philips.com

On the point about subs (*.srt), it's just speculation without the debug.log...
But do you have access to the "Transcoding" folder (Or something like that) in the media-folders? (It may be disabled/hided in GUI...)
If you choose the file with subs incorporated it may force the transcoder to "burn" the subs into the stream.
Otherwise the (*.srt) file may be transferred separately, and it's up to the renderer (TV) to show them.
lucasmnk

Post by lucasmnk »

Fenzor wrote:Okey, nice to get that confusion out of the way ;P

But it seems to me like you may have to modify the "PhilipsPFL.conf" file in the "renderers"-folder. I may be wrong... :(
In this file it is specified what formats is supported by you TV. And some other things too...

This is based on the fact that one of your TVs is supported, but not the other for some reason.
There can be some small differences between the models on what is supported video-formats and such...
Try to search on the net, and report back if you find anything. ;)
Link I found in the "PhilipsPFL.conf"-file: http://www.supportforum.philips.com

On the point about subs (*.srt), it's just speculation without the debug.log...
But do you have access to the "Transcoding" folder (Or something like that) in the media-folders? (It may be disabled/hided in GUI...)
If you choose the file with subs incorporated it may force the transcoder to "burn" the subs into the stream.
Otherwise the (*.srt) file may be transferred separately, and it's up to the renderer (TV) to show them.
I've updated to 3.6.3 but the problem still the same. To get worse, my TV, even being a philipsPFL is recognized as a VerizonTV. I tried again using the 2.6.5 version and it works but if i update it bricks... I checked to an up to date PFL.conf, but no success...

Does anybody have idea about what a hell should i do?