is refurbished HP DC 7900 as a media server with UMS enough for subtitle encoding?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cupik

is refurbished HP DC 7900 as a media server with UMS enough for subtitle encoding?

Post by cupik »

Hello,
This is my first post on the forum. Forgive me if my question is obvious to some of you, but I'm a newbie in the matter of media servers running on refurbished comps.

I consider to buy refurbished HP DC7900:
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8400
(6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
Launch Date Q1'08
Processor Number E8400
L2 Cache 6 MB
FSB Speed 1333 MHz
FSB Parity No
Instruction Set 64-bit
Embedded Options Available Yes
PLUS 4GB RAM DDR2
Originally it has 250gb HDD, but I'll add 1TB drive for storage plus already owned external drives.
My problem is that I wanna stream my full hd movie collection (1080p) to my Samsung smart tv, with subtitle encoding on the go. I have no time to burn the subtitles into each movie.
When I tried doing that with my old macbook with intel core duo (early 2006) it didn't work, The video was stuttering every few seconds, while encoding subtitles.
I'm gonna install some sort of linux distribution on the computer (probably some sort of Ubuntu with light desktop like LXDE ) plus Universal Media server.

MY question is:

Will that computer have enough CPU power to encode subtitles without stuttering?
Obviously I'm trying to make it as cheap as possible (the whole set, including 1TB HDD will cost me around 150$)

If not, perhaps someone has an advice what could be better in reasonable price.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Miku.
Renegade

Re: is refurbished HP DC 7900 as a media server with UMS enough for subtitle encoding?

Post by Renegade »

I have same CPU (but on Desktop) and 4GB RAM.I have no problem to stream 1080p .mkv files (with subtitles included or with subtitles separately: .sub, .srt).