How to watch movies with 3d subtitle

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
tanaytopac

How to watch movies with 3d subtitle

Post by tanaytopac »

Hi, I'm using UMS for some time and today I wanted to watch a 3D movie on my Samsung ES7000 but I couldn't get 3D subtitles work. Let me sum up what I've tried so far.

First I've downloaded the app named 'srt23dass' and it crated an .ass from my .srt file. I've put my .mp4 movie, .srt file and .ass file (all with same name) into the same folder but UMS showed regular 2d subtitles.

Secondly I downloaded '3dsubtitler' app and it created .sub, .xml and .idx file from my .srt file and I put all to the same folder with the .mp4 movie but this time no subtitle showed up.

I think there's an obvious way of doing this but I couldn't find, if you can help I'd be appreciated.
tanaytopac

Re: How to watch movies with 3d subtitle

Post by tanaytopac »

Any suggestions please?

I suppose this is a fairly common thing but I couldn't find any directions for it. Thanks in advance.
tanaytopac

Post by tanaytopac »

Hey guys, anything?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

3dsubtitler is a good program. Try using MKVMerge (part of MKVToolnix) to put the subtitle file inside a mkv container with the other stuff (so there is one file with video, audio and subs)
tanaytopac

Post by tanaytopac »

But MKVMerge takes time. I remember I saw somewhere UMS can handle it with appropriate ASS styling files. Is that possible?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Make sure you remove the srt file from the folder before you try playing the isx/sub file. If that doesn't work, please attach your debug information
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

.idx file includes similar part:
# English
id: en, index: 0
# Decomment next line to activate alternative name in DirectVobSub / Windows Media Player 6.x
# alt: English
# Vob/Cell ID: 1, 1 (PTS: 0)
timestamp: 00:03:57:360, filepos: 000005000
# Vob/Cell ID: 1, 3 (PTS: 428280)
timestamp: 00:07:19:920, filepos: 000007000
timestamp: 00:07:26:120, filepos: 000009000
If your movie has name e.g. Valkyra_2015.DTS.mkv, your .idx/.sub files have to be named accordingly:
Valkyra_2015.DTS.en.idx
Valkyra_2015.DTS.en.sub
or
Valkyra_2015.DTS.en-3D.idx
Valkyra_2015.DTS.en-3D.sub
When language tag in movie name is not defined to same tag as specified in "ID:" and MEncoder will load such idx/sub files, without this part it will not find correct language in .IDX file.
One .IDX file can include more languages so you have to explicitly define what UMS should load.
If ID: is specified as 2char, you need to use 2char format also in the name. Same if 3char format is used (if I remember well). 3D part only specifies "flavor" of these subs which is visible in TRANSCODE folder to better find the correct ones (in case more subs with same language and format are present ;) )