Seek by longer intervals Sony Bravia EX

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ragexzero

Seek by longer intervals Sony Bravia EX

Post by ragexzero »

I've searched around but couldn't find anything to help me, so here I am.

I want to know if there's a way or a configuration for a Sony Bravia KDL-40EX655 TV, to be able to seek by time, in intervals that are longer than the default 30 seconds. As it is, if I watch the first half hour of a movie, then stop. Upon resuming the next day, I have to press the "go to" button around 60 times (twice each to advance ONE minute) to get to the half hour mark. It's a long process and there just HAS to be a better way.

I've looked in Sony's manuals to see if the time can be changed so I can seek in longer intervals and I've pressed all the button combinations I can think on the remonte, but no luck. Maybe I'm just dumb and missing something, so I'm here asking for help. If I just keep the seek button pressed, the video resumes playing 30 seconds later. No good.

I'm aware that Fast Forwarding and rewinding are a no-go with the server, specially with videos that are being transcoded cause of the buffering and all that, so if only my "go to" feature would be longer, I'd be all set.

Thanks for any help. I'm going nuts here cause resuming a 2 hour long movie at the 1hr:30m mark is a test on my finger and even the remote is gonna die quickly if I keep this up.
squadjot

Re: Seek by longer intervals Sony Bravia EX

Post by squadjot »

Huh?, i'm pretty sure i've used the arrow buttons on my brothers Bravia EX7xxx
I got a Bravia W5500, and i use the navigate/arrow buttons (press and hold)

The inner circle/ring on the remote a'la this one?
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

@ragexzero:
Post the debug.log. There are 5 different Bravia configs so nobody knows how UMS detected your TV.
ragexzero

Post by ragexzero »

squadjot wrote:Huh?, i'm pretty sure i've used the arrow buttons on my brothers Bravia EX7xxx
I got a Bravia W5500, and i use the navigate/arrow buttons (press and hold)

The inner circle/ring on the remote a'la this one?
That's it, that's the exact same remote. And guess what, I was hitting the UP arrow and advancing 30 seconds only as a result. Cut to five minutes ago, I push the RIGHT arrow this time, the thing goes flying and I'm suddenly at 40 minutes into the film. AWESOME.

As I said, "maybe I'm dumb and I'm missing something" and I WAS. So I'm very glad I came here for help, even if it was just a matter of common sense that helped me in the end.

I don't know why tho, but in my log files, it says that my renderer is unknown and it seems weird. So here they are anyway.

Thank you all for the help and go ahead, you can laugh it up if you want about my numb skull-ness. Hahah.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
Dummy's logs
(33.02 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

I push the RIGHT arrow this time, the thing goes flying and I'm suddenly at 40 minutes into the film. AWESOME.
:D
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

@ragexzero and @SubJunk:
There are 5 Bravia configs but none fits your TV. We should create some general Bravia config for "unknown Bravia TVs".
For now do this:
Copy "BraviaEX620.conf" or "BraviaEX.conf" file under new name "BraviaEX655.conf" in "Renderers" folder.
Change additional header to this one:

Code: Select all

UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=BRAVIA KDL-40EX655
Restart UMS.
I don't know what your TV supports so try to copy and edit both. One uses MediaInfo=true and other one has it set to false so can't say which one will be better for you.
ragexzero

Post by ragexzero »

Would things be OK if I DIDN'T change anything too? Cause aside from the error messages in the logs, I can see my videos just fine, with the exceptional hiccup on very high quality movies (like the infamous "The Dark Knight Rises" at 1080p and 12GB size). So what's the worst case scenario if I leave things be?

Also, can I do anything to help you guys add support for my TV in a future version of the server? If so, I'm up for it as long as you provide me with very detailed, step-by-step directions.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Using a EX config as ExSport suggests would probably be a good idea, since All those Bravias behaves pretty much the same.
The best case scenraio, is when UMS know exaclty what formats your TV supports. UMS might then be able to give you better performance ond or quality.

It's also possible that you won't feel/see any changes at all. ^^