UMS doesn't auto-start

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
BigGrumpy

UMS doesn't auto-start

Post by BigGrumpy »

Hi

Apologies if this is a dumb question - I'm new to this forum.

My UMS config is set to start automatically with Windows (I use Windows 7) but it just doesn't. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Java and the current version of UMS plus the previous one. Still no joy. Can anyone suggest where/how I should start troubleshooting what the problem is? It will start manually and work OK. Odd.

Thanks in advance.
Bembudo

Re: UMS doesn't auto-start

Post by Bembudo »

just place the shortcut to Universal Media Server in your Startup folder

you can copy and paste the path below in windows explorer or in your "Search the web or windows" located in your taskbar beside your windows button

%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

HTH
BigGrumpy

Post by BigGrumpy »

Thanks for the tip. I checked and the shortcut is already there and it will start UMS if followed manually. Weird eh?
BigGrumpy

Post by BigGrumpy »

Does anyone have any further clues? Does it have a startup log anywhere which might give me a hint?

Thanks
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

Might be a conflict. Try starting it as a scheduled task with a delay - see control panel --> administration tools -> task scheduler -> create new. Set the delay (30 secs?) In the triggers tab. Alternatively try running it as a service but make sure you have the necessary firewall ports set - see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8461
BigGrumpy

Post by BigGrumpy »

Cheers for that - I've created a new task and will do some testing.

Thanks
BigGrumpy

Post by BigGrumpy »

Genius!

I don't know what the conflict is/was as the event logs give me no clue at all. Setting it to start as you suggested seems to have done the trick. I would have tried it sooner but despite having the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' option set, this forum didn't send me an email. Not to worry - it works.

Many thanks

:)