Transcoder success rates

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Triplefun

Transcoder success rates

Post by Triplefun »

I just wondered if this is the experience of others and to what extent it is worth raising trouble tickets?
From a high level perspective 99% of my videos and music play using Mencoder, 90% with FFmpeg, 70% with tsMuxer and 50% with AviSynth/FFmpeg.
I find one of the main complications is audio and the above figures have been realised after extensive tweaking of the parameters.

AviSynth/FFmpeg with TrueMotion is obviously the best quality followed by FFMpeg and Mencoder. I also find a lot of times PS3 transcoding is invoked when not required.

The ability to transcode is a bit of a lottery and seems to vary from release to release. Given the myriad of containers and encoders I suppose this is to be expected. Supposedly you have a collection of different file types and use these to regression test each release - only takes a few minutes.

I'm running 5.1.4 on Windows 8.1 64bit with a PS3 loaded with the latest firmware and wired gigabit network. Transcode quality settings are set to max.

It's not really an issue since there are always workarounds, but, it can be annoying. Do you want me to start submitting debug logs, or should I just accept this is the nature of the beast and just look forward to future releases. If I create the log files what settings do you want - debug, trace or all?

And, by the way, many many thanks for all your efforts in producing a great product which has given us endless pleasure.