Suddenly cant find renderers

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
coreyschaff

Suddenly cant find renderers

Post by coreyschaff »

I have been using UMS for a little while with great results. Recently something changed, and it no longer finds renderers.

I am not an expert with this program, because when I first downloaded it, it just worked. Opened the program, added the folders I wanted, and everything was able to be played on all the devices. Now all the sudden it quit working, and I've tried to find a solution online, but I can't find any.

Windows firewall is off. UPnP is turned on in the router. I have uninstalled java and UMS multiple times. Tried installing as a windows service, and get an error when trying to start the UMS process. Tried doing a system restore, and that didn't do it either.

Please help.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(32.39 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
coreyschaff

Re: Suddenly cant find renderers

Post by coreyschaff »

Really, no one has any suggestions?
coreyschaff

Post by coreyschaff »

Spent some more time digging into this.

I was going through my network and router settings and found this.

My router is a dual band 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.

When I log into my router and view connected devices, it shows 2 IP address for my PC that is running UMS, 1 for the 2.4 ghz network, and 1 for the 5 ghz network. I found this odd, so I went into my network settings and told my computer to forget all networks, and then connected to just the 2.4 ghz network. Logged back into my router, sure enough, same thing, 2 IP addresses.

So I then turned my wifi off (using the physical button on my laptop) and connected the laptop to the router via ethernet. Logged in to the router and looked at connected devices. Now there is 3 IP addresses for this computer, even though I have the wifi turned off. 1 for each - ethernet, 2.4 ghz, 5 ghz.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Also, worth noting each one is showing a different MAC address, which I didnt think was possible, but I'm no expert.
coreyschaff

Post by coreyschaff »

Well, just in case anyone reads this in the future with the same issues, here is what I figured out.

I am using a Hi-tron router supplied by the ISP. I had to go into the router management page and into the access control settings. I had to add each device to the managed devices list, essentially giving them permission to use my network, even though the setting was set to allow all devices access ( option = allow all, allow listed, block listed). This makes no sense to me, because all the devices had internet access already, but this was the only way UMS would recognize them.
coreyschaff

Post by coreyschaff »

Update:

After having issues with two of the same model Hi-tron routers from my ISP, I had them switch it out for a different model. Once the router was up and running, Connected each device to the network, got UMS up and running on my laptop and they all find UMS and play files perfectly. No messing around was needed. I think its safe to say that the router I had first was causing the issues.
stormy

Post by stormy »

I have a Netgear router and I am having the same problem on Windows 10. My PS3 and PS4 have worked flawlessly since I moved to Windows 10. No settings changes that I know of but from today my UMS wont see either device anymore, they are seen by the router, both hard wired and I am at a loss. :(

Edit: Seems to be Windows 10 firewall has just started blocking my consoles, can't seem to find a way for it to allow them now without turning the firewall off? :(
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8461 for windows firewall settings