Soft embed subtitles intstead of full transcode???

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
voytech

Soft embed subtitles intstead of full transcode???

Post by voytech »

Hi,

Is there a way to force mencoder or other codec used by the program to output in h264 instead of mpg2?

I know my tv supports h264, since it can play the original file when I dont use transcoding, yet when i put subtitles in, ums transcodes to mpg2 which I think is killing my network and causing poor playback.

I've looked in the bravia conf for my tv, and I think its configured not to encode to h264, but im pretty sure my bravia supports this.

What do I need to do in order to get this to work.

Btw im assuming the playback is in mpg2 since the mpgs quality setting are effecting the output to tv and not the h264.

Thanks
Last edited by voytech on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
rnb5500

Re: How to force h264 output

Post by rnb5500 »

In the Bravia conf file you probably have something like "TranscodeVideo=MPEGPSAC3 (or MPEGTSAC3)"

To do what you want you need TranscodeVideo=H264AC3

While using H264 might decongest your network it will also tax your transcoding PC more relative to MPEG.

***EDIT. Sorry, that should be TranscodeVideo=H264TSAC3
voytech

Re: How to force h264 output

Post by voytech »

Ok thanks. I'm still having playback problems though.

However I am wandering why is there no option to mux subtitles into an MKV file format and stream that to the tv? or is it possible?

I have used a program called "mkvmergegui" to create an .mkv from the original and added subtitles. This only took a minute. Then when I use the ums to stream the original video, my tv can read the subtitles just fine.

Of course if I could have ums do that, that would be even better. So is it possible?
rnb5500

Re: How to force h264 output or mux subtitles into .MKV form

Post by rnb5500 »

AFAIK UMS doesn't have the ability to remux into MKV only stream it. I believe the reason is that there are few renderers that support MKV that don't also support M2TS, so for simplicity and compatibility's sake M2TS is used.
voytech

Re: How to force h264 output or mux subtitles into .MKV form

Post by voytech »

rnb5500 wrote:AFAIK UMS doesn't have the ability to remux into MKV only stream it. I believe the reason is that there are few renderers that support MKV that don't also support M2TS, so for simplicity and compatibility's sake M2TS is used.
Can the M2TS format have soft embedded subtitles? That would be great if that was possible to soft embed them without having to transcode which is cuasing jerky playback.