Multiple renderers.

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
camarcano

Multiple renderers.

Post by camarcano »

Hi folks,

I have a question: Is it possible to stream to multiple renderers at the same time (i.e., a ps3 and a Smart TV) from a single computer running an instance of UMS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Carlos.
rnb5500

Re: Multiple renderers.

Post by rnb5500 »

I've done multiple renderers (PS3 and Android tablet) at once, it worked fine. But both files were being streamed/remuxed or one file was streamed and one transcoded.

Assuming the PC running UMS is powerful enough, transcoding for multiple files should be possible too.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

I can transcode to 4 Directv Boxes, Stream to two Samsung TV's, Stream to PS3, and transcode to a Android tablet no problem. (i did a stress test of my server one time).

The key is to have a beefy Server and 1GB LAN.

8 Core Xeon w/24 GB ram

not a hiccup. :)
rnb5500

Post by rnb5500 »

DeFlanko wrote:I can transcode to 4 Directv Boxes, Stream to two Samsung TV's, Stream to PS3, and transcode to a Android tablet no problem. (i did a stress test of my server one time).

The key is to have a beefy Server and 1GB LAN.

8 Core Xeon w/24 GB ram

not a hiccup. :)
Nice.
I went the other way, I just couldn't deal with the noise and power draw anymore so I stuffed a used laptop motherboard in an old case with an I3-330m CPU I had from an upgrade. Added 8GB of sodimm, soldered on a couple SATA connectors and finally have it together. Just needs some testing before I risk adding my HDDs. :)
danielt

Post by danielt »

DeFlanko wrote:I can transcode to 4 Directv Boxes
DeFlanko, which all type of boxes are you streaming to? I've got it to work with my Main 'Genie' DVR (HR34), but not the clients.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

i dont have any of the RVU clients -- everything listed in the DirecTV.conf is what i tested on as far as Directv hardware.

I thought about getting one for the Outdoor BBQ.. :D
Incrediblestorm

Post by Incrediblestorm »

Nice.
I went the other way, I just couldn't deal with the noise and power draw anymore so I stuffed a used laptop motherboard in an old case with an I3-330m CPU I had from an upgrade. Added 8GB of sodimm, soldered on a couple SATA connectors and finally have it together. Just needs some testing before I risk adding my HDDs. :)

That, is a thousand times kick-a$%. Until just now, I thought that *I* had been doing a decent job recycling old tech. How the hell did you get 8 GB on an I3? And then soldering? Miracle worker. <bow>

Then we step to the software matter.....

I can drop linux on almost everything, cannot do the same with windows. Media Servers were MEANT to be dirty old linux boxes, it's the control and "lightness" that you can achieve.

This media-server-app STARTS it's name with universal, but tends to talk about "supported renderers". It's odd, that I'm pulling videos from 3 different DLNA-servers with NO transcoding, and those seem to be universal enough. (Still have problems with media organization, but what can you do)

Rendering on 3-4 different devices is a matter of the control-point. When a control-point pushes a file onto a renderer, the renderer takes the data from the file. If you use your laptop to send (even WMP does this) 3 different "renderings" then smash your laptop with a hammer, the video will still play, unless your laptop was the media server or one of the renderers.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Its universal on a lot of levels, but as far as developers go we can only support so many devices "because we own them" per say... but realistically, with the right logging, we can help you help your self build custom configuration files for the unique devices that you may have.

Some renderers require that you Transcode, and thats where processing power and ram come into play. which is why i opted for a Beast of a server.